June 29, 2013

Chronic Migraine Awareness Day

Today is Chronic Migraine Awareness Day! (Almost as fun as National Donut Day, but without the pastries.) It's a day to make people aware that Chronic Migraine is a disease, caused by a condition known as Migraine. Yep, it's the way my brain is wired. Lucky me! 
Millions of people suffer with this disease, which is more than just a headache, but a condition that is, for me, accompanied by daily nausea, dizziness, sensitivity to light and sound, sometimes imitating stroke symptoms with difficulty concentrating and speaking and numbness on one side of my body. It's not fun, but it's my life. I have learned to ignore what I can, and cut down on activities when I can't ignore other symptoms. I am better friends with my bed than I ever thought I would be at this age, but I am also better friends with my Savior, Jesus Christ, and I suppose all of this is a tiny price to pay if I get that benefit. 
Thankfully, thanks to some very aggressive doctors, in the past few months, with a cocktail of five preventatives, four vitamin supplements, nerve blocks, and three abortive medications, I have been able to reduce my symptoms a bit, and it's been nice! 
People say it's very hard to describe Migraine, especially Chronic Migraine. And it is.  I think the best way to describe it is basically this:  I feel like I have been miserably sick pregnant every day for about five years.  I have some better days, and some worse days.  But, instead of having a baby at the end of my never-ending pregnancy, what I get almost every day instead is a giant ice pick stuck into the back of my head.  Fun stuff.
So, my advice is, be kind. Someone you know may be suffering from another invisible illness, or maybe Chronic Migraine, and your kind smile or word may be just what they need to make it through a day of pain and illness. Thanks for listening. Carry on! :)
(For more information, you can go to http://chronicmigraineawareness.com/)

1 comment:

  1. Love you my friend!!! Sending hugs from chicago. We're going to try and come visit soon...maybe Aug? Tell your girls to stop growing up...it's making me crazy:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails