January 12, 2011

Christmas Vacation: Southern California



We ended up leaving for California a day earlier than planned, so as to avoid bad weather.  We're glad we did--it worked out nicely.

(Oh, and thanks to my sister- and brother-in-law for all but 3 or 4 of the pictures in this post.  Again, I left the picture taking up to the girls (and others who were a bit more effective.))

On Monday, the 27th, we spent the morning packing and the afternoon driving.  The girls spent time making up their own musical group called "The Candy wRappers".  Which, I must say, with no bias whatsoever, is fairly clever.  Their first hit, called "The Candy Rap", was created on our drive and haunted the dreams of King and me for more than one night. 

We arrived in CA in time to have dinner with our cousins and open a few Christmas gifts. 


Tuesday morning, we woke up and headed to Knott's Berry Farm.  I thought it was extremely adorable that our six-year-old niece, J, thought we would be picking berries and petting farm animals.  Which probably would have been more my speed--but I do love those roller coasters!
The clan waiting in line for the Log Ride--minus Aunt K and Baby J
King talked me into riding in a wheelchair for most of the day, to conserve my energy and lessen headaches so I could ride the coasters.  It turned out to be a good idea, if a little awkward, and he said he enjoyed the excuse to "legitimately push me around" for an entire day. :)  I made it the whole day, too, because of that wheelchair, but shouldn't go into detail how awful I felt by the end, except to say that I came very close to losing my cookies, couldn't see at all, and thought I might die. (How's that for dramatic?!)  And I spent all but 5 hours of the next day in bed.  It was worth it to spend the day with the family, though!  We all had a great time.



Little J took a liking to Snow White and latched on to her the whole time we were in CA.  It was very cute--she wanted her hair done like SW, her clothes the same as SW, and SW humored her and went on a ride or two with her while at Knotts.  I love how SW can barely fit her legs in the car.  Adorable girls.


The next day I slept, mostly, so I can honestly say I have no idea what everyone else did.  It was raining, so I think there were a lot of games, video games, and movies involved.  We had a nice turkey dinner, and that's all I know.

Thursday evening, the kids had a party at home while the adults went to the wedding rehearsal and dinner.  It was very nice.

Friday, our little family drove an hour to see our friends from college days.  We met at IKEA (where else?)  ;)  After picking out the perfect dresser for Cinderella, which we didn't buy because shipping charges were $350, we headed for some lunch and browsed at the bookstore. 


We came back to Grandma's to ring in the New Year with lots and lots of delicious food (don't you dare look at the pictures at the beginning of our vacation and compare them to ones in the end--you will see a difference in the way my pants fit!), movies, a Nerf gun war at the church gym, and a dip in Grandma's hot tub.  (Where Uncle E dared the kids to go in the freezing cold pool for a dollar.  Only SW dared--and she was bummed she forgot to get her dollar.) :)

The next day, 1/1/11, was Sean's wedding day.  Aunt K made cute skirts for our girls, and dresses for her girls, and they all looked adorable. The boys were handsome as well.






Rebecca was a beautiful bride, the wedding was lovely, the food delicious, and the dancing fun.  King did a good job with his groomsman duties (he even remembered to kiss his Mom like he was told to), and looked mighty cute in his tux.  It was a great day. 


Grandma and Papa B with their 8 grandchildren.
The next morning, there was church (which I sadly missed--the previous day was just too fun for me), and then the drive back to St. George.  That night, Grandpa D made us meatloaf and baked potatoes, and the next day we had fun with Grandma and Grandpa D, did laundry, packed, shopped and went out to eat.  Then, it was a drive to the airport and a long flight home.

And then we all settled down for a long winter's nap.

Not really.  The next day the girls were up by 6:15 (which felt like 3:15!) for school and our week was back to normal.  It still sort of seems like our vacation was a dream.  It was fabulous!

2 comments:

  1. Denise1/12/2011

    It looks like the wedding was a beautiful event. Everyone looked wonderful. We were so glad to have seen you.
    Come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of telling the story. It all looks really fun. Was I really there? Seems like a distant dream. Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails