January 18, 2011

Respect the Goals

Last night, for Family Home Evening, King talked with us about the importance of reviewing your lives, and setting goals to work toward.  He read a few verses of scripture, and then challenged us all to make at least nine goals.  Three personal goals, three family goals, and three marriage or sibling goals.  I was impressed as the girls immediately started scribbling down goals when he gave us time to brainstorm.

King, having pondered and planned this lesson, and being much more discerning than I, also added, "Oh, for every silly or disrespectful goal you come up with, you need to make two more serious ones."

"Aw, man!" the girls chorused.  And scratched out their first goals, which included, but were not limited to:
--"Cut out [Princess]'s tongue so she'll stop singing those annoying songs."
--"Ignore [Princess] whenever she comes near me.  Don't even look at her annoying face."
--"Improve my stellar awesomeness skills."

Needless to say, the scribbling slowed down a bit after King's last directions.  But, after some thinking, and re-working of their first (un)lofty goals, we got down to business and discussed some realistic family goals.

Endearingly (and, I'll admit, a little depressingly) all of the girls thought a family goal should be to do what they can to help me feel better and be helpful when I don't feel good.  And, so our list includes the all-encompassing (and almost comical in the way it  sort of a reminds me to listen to my body) goal which reads, "Respect Mom's headaches." 

One of my (ongoing) goals is to remember that even the small things matter.  Especially to God.  Just because I have to "respect the headaches" doesn't mean I can't do small things that are important and eternal.
"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls."--Alma 37:6-7
"Each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But just as the yellow and gold and brown strokes of paint complement each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33). Consistency is a key principle as we lay the foundation of a great work in our individual lives and as we become more diligent and concerned in our own homes.--David A Bednar (More Diligent and Concerned at Home)
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.--Galations 6:9
So, with all due respect, my great and abominable annoying headaches, you can't stop me from improving my girls' stellar awesomeness skills--with each small brushstroke.  After all, I have Divine help.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those girls! I sure miss them and you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails