November 11, 2011

Fatty Blobs

I have this cyst on my arm.  Near my elbow.  It's been there nearly my whole adult life, but has never caused me any trouble.  Until the last couple of months, when it sometimes pressed on a nerve and caused me pain.  I showed it to the doctor.  He said, "It looks like it's just a fatty blob.  Maybe we should take it out.  I'll refer you to a surgeon."  And I thought, Could this surgeon take out all my fatty blobs?  Like the ones on my stomach and around my thighs?

So I went to the surgeon consult this morning.  He looked at it, said it should come out, and asked me how soon I'd like to be rid of it.  I told him any fatty blob on my body that could be surgically removed, I was more than happy to part ways with as soon as possible.  He (sadly) said nothing about my thighs and stomach, but said that if I did not want to be put out for the surgery , then he could remove the cyst immediately.  "It depends on your pain tolerance level," he said. 

Considering I walk around in pain all of the time, I figure if anyone knows much about pain tolerance, it's me.  So I told him to go for it.  Slice me open and remove the fatty blob.  So he did.  And it was kind of cool, in a grody sort of way.  No problems.  Tidy little stitches.  And now I have one less fatty blob on my body.  If only they were all so easy to lose. . . 

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a time I had my gall bladder out. I pinned a note on my gown that said "Please remove all excess adipose tissue (fat) at the time of surgery". The nurse said "Oh, no, that will take too long". Rude!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails