October 6, 2010

General Conference Meme

My cousin over at Diapers and Divinity is hosting a General Conference Extravaganza.  And, me being one who never wants to miss a party, even if I am late, I thought I would finally get around to posting some of my thoughts on General Conference.  I loved it.  Didn't you?  Steph listed questions to answer as you reflected back on Conference.  Here are my answers.

General Conference Highlights, October 2010:
1.  Who were your three favorite speakers?  
 President Monson, President Uchtdorf, Elder ScottSo many, really.

2.  Favorite talk?  
This is a hard one.  I really loved President Monson's talk about gratitude, but also loved President Uchtdorf's about steadying your course and Elder Eyring's about trust. 

3.  Favorite hymn sung during Conference?   
 Lead Kindly Light

4.  Who wore the best tie?   
I forgot to pay attention to that. 

5.  Do you think conference had a “theme”?   
I think agency and Prophets were both mentioned quite a bit, but to me there was not an overwhelming theme this time. 

6.  Share a few of your favorite quotes (paraphrasing is fine).
“Parents do not need to be perfect, just honest and sincere.”-Sister Wixom 

"Faith is a principle of action and power."-Richard G. Scott

"We bless generations when we reach out to others." -Garrett W. Gong

"Proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances."-Deiter F. Uchtdorf 

"Be still, and know that I am God."-Psalm 46:10, obviously-but it was quoted by three people and stood out to me.

7.  Something that made you smile during conference.
President Monson taking credit for "his" Tabernacle Choir and President Uchtdorf  saying, something like, "Well, that's all very well and good, but what does that have to do with airplanes?"

8.  Any evidence that your children paid attention?
Lots!  They did great.  We had them take notes and make up questions to ask each other after each session.  They got one piece of candy for each correct answer, and two if they stumped their sisters.  They each were able to tell us which talk was their favorite and which stories they liked.  We didn't even tell them they had to do it for all four sessions, but they made it through most of it.  It was fabulous.

9.  If you had to give a talk in General Conference (don’t faint, this is hypothetical), what do you think you’d speak about?
I think trusting God and letting your hope be in Him and his will for you.

10.  What are some of your post-conference goals?
*Proceed at the optimum circumstance for my circumstances, remembering that I need to focus what little energy I have on my family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I don't have to be perfect, just sincere. I can do that! Be grateful for what I can do, don't focus on what I can't. 
*Make the things I spend my time on reflect the commitments and covenants I have made to God.  Consecrate my life to Him daily, focusing on prayer.  Be more sensitive to the needs of others and see them (and myself) how God sees them.
*Be more diligent in "blacking out" from my home the evil things that will darken our lives.  Trust in Heavenly Father to help my husband and myself in making courageous decisions for my family.
*That's a pretty decent start, I think.  :)

Now, go to Steph's blog and submit your own answers, or leave the link in the comments on this post.  I'd love to hear your experience; it helps me learn when I see what stood out to others.  It was a great exercise to help sum up my thoughts and impressions I received as I listened.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. You even pointed out a few things I hadn't noticed. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails