October 1, 2010

Better Like That

As I was working on the computer the other day, I overheard Snow White tell Sleeping Beauty how much she liked her gym teacher.  And then she said, "I'm going to go ahead and let my gym teacher think the reason I do track in the spring is because he told me I was a natural runner, and I should join the track team. I won't tell him that I was going to join anyway. It'll be better like that."  She's a smart one, that girl.  Keep those teachers thinking they know everything.

And then I find that this running thing is more important than I thought.  It is also Snow White's goal to outrun everyone in her gym class.  I found this out as she was running up and down the isle at the shoe store.  She said she was checking to make sure the shoes didn't "interfere with her performance."  (She cracks me up.)  Then she told me how she passed up all of the girls days ago, and had now finished laps before everyone but one boy.  One boy.  And she needed the shoes to help her beat him.  And all along, I thought she needed them because her old ones were too small and worn.

"Well, that too," she said, "But if I can beat [boy] then it will be worth the effort of going shopping for new shoes.  I hate shopping."

Obviously, she was extremely disappointed today when they did not run in gym class.  But, she assured me, [boy] totally noticed she had new shoes on.

I assured her that he probably had noticed and that he was probably shaking in his boots (or ratty old gym shoes) right about now.  And then I told her she would beat him tomorrow for sure.  I didn't remind her that he usually beats her by almost a full lap.  (It's better like that.)

2 comments:

  1. Funny! Who knew it was all in the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow White cracks me up.

    Tessa also gives me a break-down on who is the fastest in her gym class. We got her a new pair of shoes this year but today she wore her old shoes for gym. They're still the faster ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails