November 15, 2010

Good

Today I took a quick trip to the grocery store.  It seems our family doesn't function too well when it doesn't have milk, eggs, bread and cheese.  Not to mention anything that forms a complete meal.  But, today I went for necessities only.  And, I did pretty well, considering.  I mean, I did forget the bread, but I got salsa.  What can't be improved with a little salsa?  Bread, shmead.

And, I wanted to just run in real quick, because I only needed a few things, and despite actually showering, I still looked like I had just rolled out of bed.  I did put actual clothes on, but they were the kind of clothes most people (not me) wear while exercising.  And just how many people did I see that I know in the seven minutes I was in that store?  Four.  Four.

Two of them just said, 'Hello, how are you?' and I said, 'Good', which was sort of a lie, but they let me get away with it.  Another, after my 'good' answer, asked, 'And how have your headaches been?'  Probably because I didn't really look good.  And then I couldn't really lie, so I just said, 'Well, I am out of bed, which is 100% better than yesterday!'  Which sounds cheerful enough, right? 

And then the last friend asked how I was, and I asked how she was, and then she said, 'You just look pretty awful.'  Which is how I felt, but I didn't really want to hear that.  I mean, I pretended I was feeling fine, couldn't she pretend I was looking fine?  So I said, 'Well, I feel a whole lot better than yesterday!' and she said, 'Uh, good..?...' and then I said, 'Well, have a great day.'  And now I am wondering if it is now kosher to tell someone they look pretty awful.  Did I miss something in the whole manners department lately?

Oh well.  At least she didn't ask me if I was pregnant, or when I was due.  That's always awkward.  Especially when they pat your belly and say that you look more and more pregnant each time they see you.  Which happened to me once.  Seriously.  When I weighed about 50 lbs less than I do now, and hadn't had any kids yet.  So, today was actually pretty awesome, comparatively. Really awesome.  In fact, I think I will stop at the mall and see who I run into.  I might even brush my hair before I go. 

1 comment:

  1. I had almost the same thing happen to me. I usually don't see anyone I know at the grocery store. On a Saturday night (after being sick all day and realizing that I needed Milk and bread for the next day) I went to the store. I saw not one, but two people from my ward. Both happened to be single and male. "Sigh" I think you only make the "when are you due" mistake once. The last friend's comment wasn't the best and could have been handled better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails