November 14, 2010

This is the Thing About Parenthood

It's exhausting.  It's tedious.  It's frustrating.  It's overwhelming.  It amplifies every insecurity I've ever had.  It's a glutton for punishment.  And yet....YET...

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.  It's the best thing that ever happened to me.  I think I'm a better person because of it.  My perspective is heightened and broadened, and there is nothing that has ever made me humbler and more reliant on my Father in Heaven.  I have learned more about myself, more about others, and more about God.  Parenthood is definitely a divine role, and one I am so grateful that I have.     

“Just as Jesus used a child in His mortal ministry as an example for the people of the pure love they must and could have to be like Him, He has offered us the family as an example of an ideal setting in which we can learn how to love as He loves.
“That is because the greatest joys and the greatest sorrows we experience are in family relationships. The joys come from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is.”
Henry B. Eyring, “Our Perfect Example,” Ensign, Nov. 2009, 70-71

I cherish my girls and know that families are part of God's eternal plan.  But I must also remember that hormones and middle school years are also part of Heavenly Father's plan.  (Yikes. This one's a bit harder to remember.) :)

2 comments:

  1. Well said, my friend. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I've learned quite a bit since becoming a parent, but I'm constantly reminded how much more I have to learn. I've learned an incredible amount of patience, but tend to lose it every day too. But I agree, it's not something I'd ever trade.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails