January 6, 2012

In Stitches Around Here

Sleeping Beauty has had me laughing the last few days.  She's cute and funny and witty, but not the one of my girls that usually makes me laugh the most.  She has said some downright hilarious things, and I don't remember them, of course.  And then she's said things that just struck me as so funny. 

A few days after my surgery, nobody had any clean clothes.  Weird how that happened.  (And by the way--surgery went well, as expected.  No cancer (phew), no real complications, and fairly easy recovery. I'm almost back to normal.  Now we wait and see if the 1/2 of my thyroid left will take over thyroid function, or if I will find that my body is lacking thyroid hormone and I get to take supplements.)  SB was putting in a load of laundry.  She comes to me and says, "Mom, it's so funny that when I get clothes out of your hamper to add to my load, the only thing that's ever yours in there is pajama pants.  I think I washed three pairs of yours and no real clothes!" 

We'll just pretend that it was the recovery from surgery that explains that.  Okay?

Then, at dinner last night, King made crepes with assorted fruit fillings.  At the end of dinner, the girls had all eaten at least twice as much as I had, and probably more than King, but they all wanted the last one.  King suggested flipping a coin to see who got it.  Sleeping Beauty lamented, "Dad!  But, that's like flipping a coin to decide who in Africa will get water!"

King and I just started laughing.  Um, no, it's not really like that at all.  Good try, though.

"Yes," said King, "it's just like that if everyone in Africa had already had all of the water they needed and then we flipped a coin to see who could have extra water until four hours later when they again had all that they needed."  Or something like that. 

To which Sleeping Beauty gave a grin and a shrug, a signal that she given winning the crepe her best try, but lost it to Snow White, whom King deemed as having the best manners at this meal. 

Which actually wasn't all that true.  To be fair, Snow White got the crepe because she was funny, too.  When King gave her a crepe early in the dinner, she enthusiastically said, "Thanks, Dad!"  To which he replied, in all seriousness, "You're welcome, thank you for saying thank you."

And then she began a long string of SW and King saying "thank you for saying thank you because I said thank you" and "thank you for saying thank you to me for saying thank you to you for saying thank you to me", until the rest of us groaned. 

And then King gave SW her next crepe and it began all over again.  By the third time, we were all a little giddy, and begging them to stop. 

So, see?  If you are funny around here, you get enough food.  And you get to do laundry.  And you get water in Africa.  And...uh...thyroid surgery?

Or something.  There's got to be a moral in there somewhere. 

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails