August 24, 2012

Learned

Here is a sampling of things I learned on our trip west this summer.  Definitely not a full list, but you will get a small picture...

1.  I love the mountains.
2.  I love the rolling hills.
3.  I love the flowers.
4.  I love the daffodils.
5.  Boom-dee-ah-dah. Okay. You get the picture.  But really, I love the mountains and hills and rock formations in Utah.  And I wish that where we lived there was some of that.  Even just a tiny bit.  I miss them terribly.  They make me feel all safe and tucked in to my living space.  It's so, so flat here.  So flat.
6.  But we have great sunsets here, and I love them.
7.  My bed is nice.
8.  My family is awesome.  All of them.
9.  God is good.  We saw so many of His creations that are awe-inspiring.  I don't think one can visit Yellowstone, Zion, or Bryce Canyon National Parks and not marvel at His greatness and power.  We were so blessed to enjoy it.
10.  We have many wonderful friends.
11.  If you replace your regular breakfast of a green smoothie with other delicious options, say, all-you-can-eat French Toast, whipped cream, donuts, orange rolls, and muffins, you might gain just a teensy bit (ahem) of weight.  But it will be worth it.
12. On that note, it is possible to stuff yourself sick with Kneaders French Toast but still somehow manage to want it again a couple of days later.  Oh my heavenly breakfast.
13.  Sinus infections and driving up to 8,800 feet above sea level do not mix so well.  I wouldn't recommend it.  I also wouldn't recommend a migraine at 8800 ft.  Or at 100, for that matter.  Stupid head.
14.  I have the cutest nieces and nephews that ever lived.  I really don't think there should be that much cuteness in our extended families.  It's really not fair to all the other families out there.
15.  I miss my sisters.  And my brothers.  And my parents.  And my in-laws.  But mostly, I miss my sisters.  I need to live closer to them someday.  (Before we're neighbors in heaven, preferably.)
16.  I like the summer time.
17.  I managed to shop way, way less than I have on any other trip to Utah, yet still came home with almost a suitcase full of new clothes.  I guess that's what happens when you have three growing teenagers that are getting better and better at spotting a good deal.  And generous grandparents.
18.  I need a clone.  I really wanted to see so many more people and talk more in depth with some that I did see, but my body just wouldn't let me. I think I am still recovering, two weeks later.  All worth it, though.
19.  If you manage to make it to a family reunion at the park, it is probably a good idea to not just sit yourself on a chair and not move around.  You may not even see some of your cousins and aunts and uncles.  Whoops.  (Well...see #18.)
20.  It is a very, very good idea to send your girls to an amusement park with their aunt and cousins.  You get to nap, and they get to ride roller coasters.  Perfect.
21.  Did I mention my family is awesome?
22.  I love that the Church is the same wherever we go.  Same doctrine.  Same format.  Same Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Just different people. What a blessing it is in my life.
23.   Cafe Rio is still the bomb.
24.  I should take more pictures.  I took some, and the girls took some, but I think we always forget when we are having fun.  Some of our greatest memories...just playing games and hanging out with family, never get recorded.  I hope that our siblings will share their pictures.
25.  Speaking of pictures.  Even when you trespass on really cool property, family pictures are pretty fun.
26.  And if you make tie-dyed shirts for a picture, make sure you wear the gloves.  Unless, of course, you like having your hands blue for a week.  I kind of don't.
27.  Once your teenagers reach their tired, grouchy, been on vacation a while selves, they could care less what grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins think of them.  It's quite unfortunate.  They really can be sweet when they are rested, fed, and kept away from each other.
28. If you think that running downstairs at a hotel in Las Vegas to use the free internet in the cafe is a nice, relaxing idea, you'd be wrong.  Unless, of course, you like breathing second-hand smoke and enjoy the constant chorus of slot machines.  I kind of don't.
29. If you plan to hike up to the "Y" on the mountain near BYU, be very clear about where you are going.  It's not actually a "YMCA" like some may assume.  (Ahem..Sleeping Beauty.)  (I still smile whenever I think about this mix-up.) :)
30.  I need to visit the west more often.  Imagine what I would learn if I went to Utah more than once a year?!  It would be astounding, I tell you.   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails