September 29, 2008

Camp 1811

Last week, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and I were transported back to 1811 at Pioneer Camp. And while we had a fabulous time, there are some things that I just would not have enjoyed about 1811. I definitely could do without making my own candles and grinding my own cornmeal. (I suppose I do grind my own cornmeal, I just use a fancy machine that takes minutes.)
And while we're on the subject of household chores I could do without, let's add building that house. This was a grueling job that would have been hard in any weather, but imagining this task in a harsh winter like those we have, just sounds unbearable. The girls liked trying their hands at it, though. (I love the concentrating-tongue-hanging-out look Snow White has!)We can't forget the important chore of building ladders and bridges. While the girls did a superb job with their classmates in tying knots, I'll just say that I am extremely glad the suspension bridge above the water we crossed over six times was made by professionals, and not schoolchildren. Theirs held up well, though. Besides all of these thrilling jobs, they attended school (where Sleeping Beauty led us in our number rhyme), took care of animals on the farm, learned Indian sign Language, did some Huck Finn fishing, and followed a pioneer nature trail. It was a fabulous time. And, even with no sleep to speak of, we think that we'd go back to 1811 Camp if they let us!
Want even more pictures and videos from camp? Check out our other blog for an overload.

2 comments:

  1. what a fun trip. And yes, I was not cut out to be a prairie dwelling woman either. I'm annoyed now to share a bathroom with my kids while my shower is being repaired. I have to say that in that old schoolhouse shot, that is the most perfect chalkboard writing that I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I would love to do something like that with my boys.
    I love the huge Lincoln logs...how fun!
    The girls are so cute, and you look so good in that picture! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails