September 24, 2008

It's Off To Camp We Go

Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are gearing up for their 4th/5th grade camp. Their school has chosen a "Pioneer Heritage" YMCA camp to go to. I went two years ago with Cinderella, so I, unfortunately, know that my night's rest will not be worth the $100 dollars I had to fork over for my girls and I to attend. The girls cannot wait. I am cautiously optimistic about the experience. Last time I went, it rained the entire time. This time, the forecast calls for sunny skies and 8o degree weather, so at least the weather looks promising. Another thing in our favor is that we're going in the corporation's newest bus. Last time I went on an overnight field trip, the bus broke down and threw us off schedule.

Since it has been a fairly mild September around here, we have yet to break out the winter clothes bin. But, since the requirement for camp is long pants and tennis shoes, we pulled the bin down and set to sorting through the treasures.

Sleeping Beauty was not at all amused when she found that she only fit into one pair of jeans. She did not like the option of wearing her other long pants for one of the days of camp. She protested, "I have to have jeans. Mr. S. said 'You have to wear jeans, don't bring shorts or capris, you can't wear shorts at camp.' So I am not wearing those brown pants. It has to be jeans."

"Sleeping Beauty, it can be any long pants. He said jeans because children recognize jeans as long pants. You just need to wear something long so that the mosquitoes won't bite you. These brown pants will be fine."

"No," she insisted, "I need new jeans."

"You do need new jeans for school, but I will not buy new jeans for camp. They will get filthy. So it's either those brown pants or your underwear, you decide."

She decided to go with the brown pants, but says if Mr. S. gets mad, then it's my fault. I might be wrong, but I'm almost positive that Mr. S. has bigger things to worry about than the color of Sleeping Beauty's long pants. Now we just have to pray that, after a lousy night of sleep on a two inch foam mattress, Sleeping Beauty will have her wits about her early Friday morning and still choose the brown pants. I better pack her best undies, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails