May 2, 2011

Soggy

Today Snow White had a track meet for just the sixth-graders.  She was really excited because she has been running the fastest in her grade on her events.  But, her coach decided to change it up on her and had her run the 400m and a 400m relay instead of the 800m and 1600m.  And she'd never trained for either event.  In fact, when I found out she was going to do a relay, I asked her if she practiced passing the baton, and she said, "You use a baton in a relay?"

So, clearly, she was not prepared.  But, she did alright anyway.  She got over being bummed that she wouldn't really have a chance at a ribbon and was a team player.  She ran hard, even if she wasn't particularly fast. :)
The most exciting (?) part was arriving and being recruited to help.  King was asked to time runners.  I warned the coach and explained she probably didn't want me doing anything too official; I can't be completely trusted when my headache hurts this bad.  She looked at me strange (probably thought when I said "headache" I meant the kind of headache normal people get and not the kind of headache that never, ever, ever goes away and hampers my thinking), and gave me the nominal job of recording times and sorting ribbons.  Yep, that's not tricky at all. (?!?!)  I only made two major mistakes (at least the ones I caught) so she hopefully won't hate me.

I think I actually did pretty well until about 2/3 of the way through and it started raining so hard the ribbons were fading colors onto each other and my paper was so soggy my pencil wouldn't work.  I was miserable, and all I was doing was writing.  Those poor runners.  I didn't have to run on a wet track and pass a slippery, freezing cold baton to my teammate.  (Although, Snow White managed to hold on to her baton and make the pass without a hitch.  Phew!)

As we were heading to the car in the torrential mess, I was thinking, 'This was the worst idea EVER,' and Snow White said, "That was fun!  It might have been better if it wasn't raining as hard, but at least they didn't cancel.  That would have been really sad."

CLEARLY, she did not get her passion for the sport from me!

2 comments:

  1. Denise5/03/2011

    That is great. I admire her diligence. I wish I was passionate about running. Now, chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that she is such a team player. Glad she had fun, sorry you didn't.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails