May 6, 2011

The Weekend is Here--Phew

I'm so glad it's the weekend!  I'm not sure why, but this week has felt so long.  It could be the homework load was a bit much.  It could be that piano was on a different day this week, so it threw our schedule off.  It could be Snow White was in three track meets which equaled six plus hours of sitting on ice cold bleachers.  It could be that the girls keep singing that "Firework" song and I can't get it out of my head! (But it's probably that for two weeks I have had more really lousy headache days than not, and the days seem to drag on when that happens.) 

At any rate, the weekend is here, and I am ready!  The girls are watching the third installment of Lord of the Rings with their dad tonight.  It's not that I don't like them, it's that they don't like me.  (The Lord of the Rings movies, not the girls.)  (Actually, I take that back, sometimes the girls actually don't like me.  Like yesterday when Cinderella first told me I didn't know what I was talking about and then gave me the silent treatment when I tried to ask questions to figure out what she meant.)  (Anyway...)  So they are watching a movie and I am going somewhere quiet to read or nap.  Yay me!

The big news they brought home from school today was that their choir teacher has been let go.  They are no longer funding a full music program at our schools.  They will still have choir, but not separated by age groups, and the after-school choir musical group is not likely to happen.  Cinderella is the most disappointed by this, as she was looking forward to being in the advanced choir she auditioned for.  She is getting a little tired of being in classes with kids who don't care a bit about singing and music, but want an easy A.  This new choir class was going to let her improve and really focus on the music.  I am sad.  They really have liked their teacher, and getting rid of the Arts in schools is rarely a good idea.

And speaking of Arts, Snow White recently found out that she was accepted into the "Advanced/Challenge Art" class for next year.  She is very excited.  However, the girls also heard that some art classes will be cut next year as well, so we'll see what happens.  Needless to say, it's disappointing.

Anyway, have a nice, quiet, relaxing weekend!

2 comments:

  1. So sad that art programs are going by the wayside. Haven't district leaders read the studies correlating math scores with involvement in music?? How about cutting football? Haven't they seen the studies??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a disappointment, just when Cinderella (and her siblings) are really developing their talents. Does this mean the high school vocal program is gone as well? All the more reason for some lessons.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails