October 10, 2011

Portland

Portland seemed so much smaller than it really is.  Although, we really only drove through the town quickly, and then when we were back we spent most of our time in the city right near the port.  Our tour guide told us that the tallest building in town was this one:
Except when our ship is in port, our ship is actually the tallest "building" in town.  I found that kind of funny.


As I said, we drove through Portland to make our way to Kennebunkport.  It was such a charming little town, with little shops and cottages.  I'm pretty sure I was born to live in a New England Coastal village.  I wanted to move into all of the little houses. 

Okay, maybe they aren't so little, but aren't they charming?  I loved the historic hotels on the beach, too, and decided that I think I found the place to come for our next vacation. 

Although, after our tour guide told us how much the hotels were a night, I decided that if we came we would probably have to stay in some little cottages by the river. They were a little dumpy, and in a not ideal location, but charming enough.  I pointed them out to my family, saying that was where we could probably afford to stay...


...just before the tour guide said something like, "And if you'd like to stay there in those cottages when you come visit, the going rate is around $900 a night."  Yikes!  I decided a college education is probably a little more important for my children than a few nights in Kennebunkport.  :)

We took a short drive through the town, and then made our way to our fishing boat tour.  
     

We made our way down the river and out into the ocean. 
Our group...Roxanne, Della, Kimberlie...Diane, Denise...Larry, Doug...picture taken by David.



We went right past the summer home of George and Barbara Bush.  Well, as close as all of the security would let us, which wasn't real close. 
George's speed boat.  Apparently, he's a real speed demon, often ditching his security.
They then took us out further into the ocean to pull up their lobster trap and see if they had caught their dinner.  They didn't.  The guides taught us all about lobstering, and it was fascinating to learn some of the details.  The two little guys that were in their trap this time, were too small to keep.  But they let us give them a little hug and kiss before throwing them back into the ocean. 

Showing us whether it's a girl or a boy.




Then we had some time to shop and eat.  Not being a lobster fan, I opted for a big scoop of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream instead of a lobster roll.  We stopped at the post office to mail my girls' post cards, bought the girls some jewelry, and browsed some of the charming streets.  

Me, Roxanne, Doug, Terrell, Donna
Sending our love!
Then it was a short ride back to Portland, right past the "Wedding Cake House". 

We met up with some of the others in our group and did some shopping and historical sight seeing, and of course, eating.  We had some of the most delicious bakery items.  Yes, ice cream, tarts, cookies and breads is what I ate this day.  Not our most nutritious day, but  certainly one of the tastiest!
Bakery with THE YUMMIEST gingerbread and pear tarts
Rhea, Thea, Me, Doug, Veva, Roxanne

City Hall

When we got back on our ship, we had dinner (I ate mostly fruits and vegetables, for you nutrition police out there), and went to a hilarious hypnotist show.  Really, so funny.  I loved the day.  I felt so blessed to be able to be there with my extended family and see such fun things.  I didn't get sick on the boat and managed to make it through the entire day without pain killers!...I think one of the only days that that happened on the entire trip.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails