January 7, 2010

So, This is the Deal

In trepidation, and with a knowledge that there are many waiting to hear how the Botox is going, and realizing I really don't feel like calling anyone about it, or talking much about it, I give you my report-- 

Botox.  It is helping.  But not in an earth-shattering "I want to kiss my doctor and, glory be, my life has never been the same" kind of way.  My bad times are not quite as bad (thank goodness) and my medium times are a little better, and my good times are a little bit longer.  I don't have to concentrate so hard to ignore the pain, so things like mopping the floor and helping the kids with their math seem a little less overwhelming.  So, that's good.  And, for the first time in a very long time, when I took an acute migraine medication (you've probably heard of the one called Imitrex) it actually helped a little and gave me some relief.  That was nice, but I still can't take them every day.   

I described it like this to someone yesterday:  Now, instead of feeling like, "I am going to die, someone please kill me, or I will just go lie down" it's more like, "Ow, my head is killing me, I must go lie down before I fall over."  So, it's better.  Just not as life-changing as I had hoped.  The pain is less, but my overall production and energy is not a lot better.  I still have to ration my energy and things so that I don't do too much, and many of my early evenings are still spent in bed.

That being said, I cannot truly make an accurate assumption just yet.  My headaches seem to go in cycles, and while the better days seem to be a little better, it really all could be because my body is in a "better" cycle at the moment.  That does happen.  Also, my body could be in a "worse" cycle, but it feels like a "better" one, so it could improve.  I am at four weeks since the treatment, and should be at peak levels of relief, so, honestly, it's feeling like spending $8,000 a year for only this much improvement isn't really worth it.  I guess we'll still see, and eventually, we'll see what the insurance actually decides as well.   

So, there you have it.  That's the deal.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear! I wish I could pull out a magic want to poof some real relief your way. Prayers are going to have to do, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Well, I guess that's a tiny bit better than "please kill me now."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't know what to say except BUMMER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Kristie. I had hoped for so much more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails