March 3, 2009

Dumbfounded

Okay, look what I found in the corner of the Living Room this morning:

What?!? Now, I may be heavily drugged this week (I am, it's true--blurred vision, dizziness, confusion, general yuckiness, slow reaction time, you name it, I've pretty much got it, I'm totally out of it) but even I have enough wits about me to realize that there is something wrong with this picture.

All of the sudden, my confusion about how the girls had somehow drunk almost a full gallon of milk from Sunday night to yesterday morning, turned into my confusion of how it is possible for a TEN or TWELVE year old to be stupid enough to leave milk in the Living Room. Where it is never allowed. Where I've never seen it before. Where it is so obviously out of place.

We questioned the Princesses. We got two confused looks, "What, milk was where?" and one stone cold silence. No explanation, no nothing. She didn't even blink when King crossed two dollars off of her allowance to pay us back for the milk. She just silently did her morning chores and got on the bus two minutes later. I am dumbfounded. Is my confusion wearing off on her? What in the world possessed her to do such a thing?

Fortunately, I have a really yummy recipe for Sour Milk Cake my mom used to make. Unfortunately, in my present drugged state, I think if I turn on the oven, I may burn the house down. So, I think our little Princess will be forced to do some baking when she gets home from school. Nothing like a warm chocolate cake to make having an addled daughter seem a little more bearable. Mmmmm, can't wait.

But now, I'm off to check under the beds for eggs and cheese, just in case. Stranger things have happened. What in the world is going on around this place?!?!?!?!

10 comments:

  1. That is funny. You know, I've had moments where for no apparent reason I've tried to put my dirty dishes in the dirty clothes hamper or pots and pans in the fridge. I haven't gone so far as to leave milk in the corner of the livingroom, but honestly, anything's possible. I guess my mind performs well its ability to wander off and totally lose focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your continued headaches and drug induced confusion, but I am sure there is a perfectly sound reason for the milk in the living room. ...maybe while getting the milk out of the frig, someone in the living room was having a crisis and needed help... After the crisis was over perhaps the glass of milk that was going to be drunk was forgotten... Or maybe one of the Princesses was using the milk in resistance exercises and put it down when the aerobic portion of the routine started... and then forgot it during cool down... See I have come up with some very SOUND reasons for milk being in the living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing so hard that I can't think of anything to comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you can still see humor in things in your confused state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I once found a carton of melted ice cream in my cupboard! It also gets put away in the fridge from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just blog hopping and thought this story was funny--it sounds a bit like what my 11 yr old or 9 yr old would do... sometimes they just aren't thinking. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny funny kids. You are such a fun writer. We have the same problem -- disappearing milk. But we know our 14 year old consumes as much as he can get his hands on. He died when I told him your house had 1/2 a gallon of milk that spoiled. That was a tragedy in his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a block of feta in the back of the car the other day. It had been there for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I'd hate to see milk to go waste, but seriously, this is pretty darn funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is indeed strange, but I recently won the prize at a RS dinner for having the strangest thing in my purse-- it was a bag of water. Yes, a baggy 1/2 full of water-- it had been ice at one point you see, ice to put on a sore arm when I had a long drive, but I forgot about it until searching for something weird at the RS dinner. Anyway, it got me a giant Hershey bar (just what I wanted but not what I needed!).
    So maybe the little darling just needed it for a cold compress or something. These things must skip a generation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails