March 13, 2009

Obsession

Yesterday was a big day for me. I drove a car for the first time in two and a half weeks. (I hadn't been able to drive because of my medications.) It turns out it's sort of like riding a bike. It came back to me quickly. It was a strange feeling. I felt big and powerful and super speedy. And I felt like I couldn't breathe, because my bra was suffocating me. It turns out bras still aren't that comfortable.

I went to a Primary Presidency meeting, and managed to sound mostly coherent, for someone who hasn't been out of the house in a week. Then I went to pick up King for our hot lunch date. It was yummy food, and interesting conversation. We then headed off to the super-romantic Wal-Mart. I'm not sure why we end up there on half of our dates. It would be depressing if it weren't so familiar and practical.

But, the best part of the day, the part that I cannot stop thinking about, is our trip to the new bakery up the road from Wal-Mart. Had a super yummy, soft and squishy, chocolate doughnut. It had been months since I had a doughnut. I wasn't even going to get one, but I did. I shouldn't have. I could have lived without it. But now I want more. Every day I could have one. In fact, I would put a bra on just to go get a doughnut. Every single day. I might even drive a car while medicated--it was that good. It's sad the amount of time I have spent today thinking of excuses to buy doughnuts. Here are my best ones:
  • It's Friday, the thirteenth.
  • It's Cinderella's opening night for Annie.
  • It's the last day of the grading period at the girls' schools.
  • It's my birthday in almost a month.
  • It's almost my 15 and a half year wedding anniversary.
  • My head doesn't hurt too bad today.
  • I miss my sisters.
  • My best friend is in Hawaii (and I'm not.)
  • My dad has to have cancer surgery, again.
  • My mom ate a chocolate doughnut every day when she was pregnant with me, so it's sort of an inborn trait to want one. It's practically written on my genes.
  • I washed my sheets and made my bed. (One of my least favorite chores.)
  • It's above freezing today.
  • I survived helping the twins with their math last night. Fifth grade math. (Hard stuff.)
  • It's Friday the thirteenth for the second time in a month. That's just weird.
In the end, the "But your bum will be bigger and your legs will be fatter" argument has trumped all rational (and irrational) excuses for running to the bakery. For today. What am I going to do the next 364 days this year? Darn chocolate doughnut!

7 comments:

  1. hmmmm... I say get the doughnut! and send me one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm..donuts...I, too, could go for more after the one I had yesterday. :)

    Also, I am so relieved to hear that car driving is like bike riding. It's been over a year and a half since I've been behind the wheel, and a part of me worries that I'll forget what I'm supposed to do the next time we have a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you deserve a doughnut every day... You don't even need 15rational (or irrational) reasons to get one... GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky for me the place that sells the best donuts I have ever tasted in my whole 31 years closed a few months ago. Hopefully it will take me another 30 years to feel that urge to buy a donut like I did at that place.

    Good luck resisting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morganne loves the doughnuts at that bakery too! She was begging for one today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I have my one day a year donut splurge--our tech day at school when we paint sets, hang lights, etc. I buy donuts for all the students but always take my chocolate cruller out first (am I selfish--yes when it comes to that once a year donut!).
    So glad you were out--you deserve a treat now and then--I love your reasons. They all make sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My personal philosophy is you can eat anything you want if you do a little exercise. So just park the car far away so you have to "hike" in and out of the donut store. :) You'll be back in your skinny jeans in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails