February 9, 2011

Fun Stuff

So, as you know, last week was the twins' birthday.  And, as I was bending to take their cake out of the oven, I somehow twisted way wrong and, holy hot gravy on fresh biscuits!, I could not move.  Lucky for me, I am practically a certified pharmacy with a slew of medications in my cupboard to try to help in "emergency migraine moments" (aka-I've had a bad migraine for days on end and I just might kill someone if I don't take some muscle relaxants and nausea medication and just knock myself out already).  So, I made it through the birthday party with well-timed doses of pain killer and muscle relaxants.

But, by Saturday morning, when the thought of lifting my leg far enough to step into the shower sent me into fits of that ugly sobbing/trying to talk thing, King declared if I was not miraculously healed by Monday morning, I would be visiting the doctor.  So I did. 

And, it was super fun to tell the the six people that asked if I fell on the ice, or hurt my back while shoveling that, no, I did in fact have a birthday cake baking injury.  I was tempted to say I was snow boarding, or something cool, but, as there are no hills around these parts...that just wouldn't have made sense.  But the birthday cake thing may not have either, because I swear more than once, the people looked at me like I was out of my mind. 

The doctor took some x-rays (which were fine-phew) and then prescribed me the same medications that I have been given before to try to "stop the "ON" migraine cycle" and I knew how they would make me feel.  And how they would actually make my headaches worse, and not better.  Which is why I called King and cried and made him talk me into actually picking up the medications, and then bought three doughnuts, because you never can go wrong with those, can you?

And for the last three days, I have been feeling pretty much how I thought I would feel:

Like a Jell-o Slug.  With heartburn.  And insomnia. 

Yesterday, as I was trying to read with Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, I fell asleep 5 times in ten pages.  They finally gave up reading with me and told me a synopsis of the chapter in the end.  (Which actually didn't make a lot of sense, as we are reading A Wind in the Door, and I have no idea what an Echthroi that un-names things is?  I'm not sure it was just the drugs.)

Although, then it was time to take the next kind of pill, and I could not keep my eyes open, but my mind refused to rest, and my heart was pounding and then I wondered if maybe one of those Echthroi things was actually living in me and un-naming all that is real and good in my life and replacing it with red Jell-o.  Or biscuits and gravy.  Or something.

Luckily, I start decreasing the dosages today, and I think I am having some moments of sanity (I am hoping this is one.  If not, please disregard this post and come back next week).  And I can actually move now without wanting to cry.  So, that's super good.  :)

And, in case you are wondering, I have no idea if the cake was worth it.  I did not taste it.  But, the girls loved it, so I am saying the injury was worth their joy.  Plus, my doughnuts were delicious, and I certainly don't ever eat three doughnuts in one day without a very good reason.

5 comments:

  1. Denise2/09/2011

    Oh, no! We hope you are feeling better soon. Back pain is horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be back next week... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything is possible with a donut in each hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes when I'm reading your posts I don't know if I want to laugh or cry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You injured your back in a cake incident. I broke my wrist because I fell in my front yard on my rollerblades *when I dropped my wrist guard and tried to catch it.* And I've got the metal parts and screws to prove it. Nothing like having every doctor laugh at you when they find out how you injured yourself!

    Hope your back feels all better very soon!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails