February 5, 2009

It Runneth Over

Yesterday was a fun day. Snow White and Sleeping Beauty had a nice birthday (more pictures and details later) and we were busy. Which is why I was home alone last night, resting, when the doorbell rang. The others had gone to church and a friend's house and I had just pulled my jeans off for a more comfortable nap.

I ignored the first bell, but on the second, decided to check and see who was there. It was the twins' Primary teacher. She was holding two tiny cakes. And two cards. The roads were yucky. It was freezing outside. She'd come all this way. So nice. My house was a disaster. But, I had to let her in. So, I quickly pulled the throw off the couch, wrapped it around my waist and yanked the door open.

"Hi!" I said, "Come on in. You are so sweet to stop by. The girls aren't here, they'll be sad they missed you. I'm sorry my house is such a mess...The girls were in a hurry...I, uh...I didn't have them pick up because they had to make it to New Beginnings...I stayed home because I knew I wouldn't make it...I,uh...I have these migraines...I'm trying this new medicine...Thanks for thinking of the girls...Their school stuff is still all over...I'm so sorry...We just had dinner and they ran..."

The phrase 'my mouth runneth over' comes to mind. Ugh. Just stop talking already.

She was very nice, though. She said something like, "You are talking like I don't have children and a house and a job. Don't worry," and something else like, "My brother and mom get migraines. They're terrible."

And I'm standing there looking at her with her two hands full and thinking, I can't take those two cakes from her because I have to hold up the blanket. I don't have on any pants. She's going to have to see my kitchen. Dishes not done for two days. Dinner still on the table. Floor not swept for who knows how long. Pile the size of Nebraska of mail on the counter. Two baskets of laundry in the corner. Okay, I won't go on, as to not embarrass myself further. But, it was BAD and I was panicking. What could I do? I couldn't very well let go of the blanket around my waist to take them from her, or say, "Ah, thanks, just throw them on the floor over here." I'd already spewed all kinds of babble, so I decided to humiliate myself further.

"Do you mind putting them on the kitchen table over here? Um, just kind of ignore the dinner mess," I mumbled, and turned to lead her into the wreckage.

I needn't have bothered letting her see my kitchen, though. As I made my move, the blanket slipped from around my waist and exposed my underwear-clad behind to her and anyone else who looked into my front window at the moment. Nice. Now she knows from up-close experience that my bottom runneth over also. Great. I just can't wait to see her at church on Sunday.

13 comments:

  1. ohmygosh now THAT is funny. really really really VERY funny. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join the club - at least she's female!!
    I had an inactive lady I visit taught who only let me come into her house because she knew what MY house looked like, I was able to make good spiritual progression with her because I'm a bad house keeper- I don't want that to ever change:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Thanks for the laugh. I needed an ab workout today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang funny. Very, very, very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing really, really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is hilarious -- and the cakes are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2/05/2009

    It is not often that I laugh out loud at a blog entry. Honestly, you need to write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this is my first visit to your blog but it won't be my last. This is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2/06/2009

    Wow, I am feeling so good that the other day when someone stopped by and I hadn't showered or cleaned my house or done my makeup, at least I was wearing pants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh queen, you are just too, too funny. Yes, we have all been there (well maybe not quite THERE), but it never fails when everything is the worst, someone does you a favor and drops by! I agree with Denise--where IS that book?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is GREAT! (maybe not a great visual, but a great story none the less)

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least it wasn't your home teachers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails