February 23, 2009

A Value Tale

In school, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty have started a new reading unit. They are reading from the ValueTale books that teach moral lessons. I loved those when I was a kid. The students read books about historical characters and the values they posses, then answer questions about how the values might help them in their lives, as well as the world in general. It's a lesson in reading comprehension, as well as a lesson in applying a value to your daily life and the world outside of your daily life. Whatever the exact point is, I think it's good for them.

This past weekend, we were quizzing the girls on what characters they had been reading about. Sleeping Beauty had been reading about Will Rogers. She told us about how he was excellent with a rope, and could out-lasso just about everyone. I was pretty impressed. The only thing I can do really well with a rope is jump rope, and that's kind of overstating it, since I haven't really been proficient since I was in elementary school. I was stumped trying to think of how lasso-ing a cow could help improve the world. (I don't know about the world, but I do have to admit that had I known how to lasso a toddler to the ground, it would have come in quite handy in my life six to eight years ago.) So I asked Sleeping Beauty the value that she had learned from Will Rogers.

"Mmmmm...I don't really remember...uh...um...Oh! I know! I think it's the value of humidity," she finally recalled.

King piped in, very seriously, "Hmm, he must have been from Texas then."

**Will Rogers had the value of humor, by the way. And he's from Oklahoma, not Texas. Close enough, though.**

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I always assumed Will Rogers was from Colorado because of the Will Roger's shrine there. Have I mentioned I grew up roping? I can teach you any roping skills you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oh my! Talk about a blast from the past. I read those over and over as a child, but I think we sold them at a garage sale or something. My favorites were of Helen Keller, Beethoven, and Johnny Appleseed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. way to go, king!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a book with a good moral story to it! I was a pretty darn proficient jump roper, but sadly, I'm about 15 years out of practice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails