August 11, 2009

Challenged

Last night we went to the school's "Welcome Back Challenge Students" meeting. (Don't you think "Challenge" is a strange name for a G/T class? Every time I say it, I feel like my kids have challenges, (which they do, by the way, but not in the learning department, mostly. Well, maybe they do.) My sister's school district calls it LIFT or something. But, I think it stands for "Learning is Fun Together", which is pretty lame,. So Challenge is fine. Whatever. Why am I off on this tangent anyway?) It's our fourth and last year going. Sometimes I wonder if we should go since we know all the information. But in the end, we always go. Maybe to support the school, but probably because the girls like to see their friends and love the hot dog dinner they are served. I like not making dinner, that's for sure. And, I guess I like supporting the school, too.

This year, we got to meet the girls' new teacher. He's nice. He's young. I feel old. It's his first year teaching in a classroom, I believe, which could bode well for us, or be not so good. You never know. It will be a good year, though. We're excited to get back to school. And by "we", I mean me. I like the routine, although I do miss the girls when they are at school (at least part of the day.)

I suppose the girls are a little excited. Snow White misses playing soccer at recess, and Sleeping Beauty misses chatting with her friends. Cinderella doesn't care one way or the other, which is how she feels about nearly anything I ask her opinion on. She can't be bothered.

The fee for fifth grade registration this year is $102.50. Each. Ouch. King was appalled, until I told him seventh grade was $150. "Yes," he said, making sure he was loud enough for the twins to hear, "but Cinderella's worth it."

SB and SW acted shocked and offended. Cinderella acted proud and superior. Although, I'm not really sure she was acting. She is nearly thirteen, you know, and knows just about everything. And, judging from the massive count down paper chain she made for her room, I think she's pretty sure her birthday is the most important thing happening this year. When she can be bothered enough to care, anyway. I think I need a Challenge class on how to live with a teenager. Yikes.

4 comments:

  1. Those fees are outrageous!
    Have fun in school, girls. Queen, enjoy some quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise8/11/2009

    I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but when I had three in high school, we paid more than that for their calculators and a few supplies. Of course, by the next year, they were not the newest and greatest, so we couldn't sell them. We ended up buying two for one of my children, I think. Wait until you have your girls in select choirs or on dance team.
    All that being said, it is well worth the investments, no matter how hard it is to swallow. It keeps them "anxiously engaged in a good cause".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Maybe I don't want another girl....

    Tessa will be there before I know it and Scott has already willed her upon me for all talks and understanding sessions. He claims he doesn't understand "girls" and will take care of the boys. I'm holding him to that.

    Keep the tips coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back to school is so fun! And I agree, those fees are ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails