October 1, 2008

October

I just love October. Most of the time. All the cold parts are not my favorite. Neither is the winter coat part. And the goose bumps on the poky, not-shaved-often-enough legs. And the waking up to an alarm when it is cold in the house. Brrrr. These parts I could do without. But, there are just so many redeeming qualities to October.

I love the colors of Fall and the crisp smell of the Autumn air. I love the sweaters (they hide a little more 'fluffiness') and the warm socks. The pumpkin muffins that I associate with October are just delicious. And I can never get enough caramel apples. I love soups. Not only are they tasty, but they are just so easy. (And all three girls will eat most of the soups I make, so that's always a plus.)

The beginning of October always means the chance to listen to God's living prophet here on earth. Every six months, our church has General Conference, where we get to hear wisdom and direction from the General Authorities of our church. To me, it's a chance to refresh and renew my commitment to follow Heavenly Father's plan for me and my family, to follow in Christ's footsteps, and regain an eternal perspective in this life of mine. (While the Relief Society general meeting was technically in September, it was a great kick-off to the General Conference weekend. If you missed it and want to recharge your batteries, get your life into perspective, feel God's Holy Spirit, and remember God loves you and cares about everything you are doing, click here to listen to this great conference. My favorite was the last talk, given by President Uchdorf, but all of it is fabulous.)

Another reason for me to love October is the chance I get to celebrate the anniversary of my wedding day. This year, it will be fifteen years for us. Wow! We are going to celebrate by heading off on our own on a mini vacation. We are planning a quick trip to Washington DC. (You know, since the economy is so stable and all, we thought we'd spend some money that was just lying around--ha ha.) We are very excited!

October also means the celebration of the birth of our oldest girl. Cinderella will be twelve in just a few short days. It's hard to say how much she's blessed our life. When October rolls around, I think of all of the blessings the Lord has blessed our family with. Cinderella and King are two of the four best things in my life. So, to me, October is a time for counting my blessings. And eating delicious food. Before it's November and becomes super trendy to do so. :)

6 comments:

  1. You crack me up... Did you read my version of October??? Quite different :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall too, especially the beautiful colors of the leaves in the mountains of Utah.
    Wow! Washington DC. We've never been there and would like to go someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Oct too, the covering the fluffyness is a big plus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. personally, October just fills me with winter dread, but I do always enjoy a reason for eating "special" foods. Happy Anniversary to you and the King.... celebrate in royal style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love october, too. but it's not cold here. i wish for some crisp days in the low 60s, but so far it's all been 80s and 90s. i'm sure you're jealous, but it means i have to put off all those great fall foods until my kitchen is cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fall and wish it were cooler here. I started making soup only to hear complaints from my husband that it wasn't cold enough outside yet. I love all the changing colors and the crispness. That is one thing I desperately miss about your kingdom. Fall!

    Happy Birthday to Cinderella and Happy Anniversary to you. I hope you get to celebrate in style.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails