December 3, 2008

It Had to be Done

*Male reader discretion is advised. Unless you enjoy shopping for bras and can relate. And if you do, please don't tell me--okay?*
Yesterday, I was called in to sub for a teacher at the girls' elementary school. When I got there, they said the "sub-getter lady"(they didn't call her that, they called her by her nice name) had messed up. I wasn't supposed to be there, but since I had done my hair, dressed in something other than jeans and a t-shirt, and actually shown up on time on a wintry morning, they were going to pay me anyway. Not so bad. I helped Snow White and Sleeping Beauty's teacher, which I would have happily done without getting paid, but I won't tell them that. Then I had the afternoon free.

I knew what I needed to do; I'd been pushing it to the bottom of my list for too long. I knew it was fate. I knew I was dressed and out the door on a morning when Kohls had 50% off deals for a reason. I must go buy that bra that I have needed for longer than I am willing to admit. Oh, the agony!!

Shopping for bras ranks up there on the 'list of horrible things to do' with things such as trying on swim wear, jean shopping, and pulling your nose hairs out. Not fun, but must be done. I decided to jump right in. I grabbed about twelve bras that I thought were my size to start my torture. It turns out that only two of them sort of fit--imagine that. But, they all had fabulous features that looked great.

There were things that made them each unique and quite desirable. One was "the softest bra ever" while another was "the bra with the softest touch". Another promised to "conceal in all the right places" which was in direct competition with the one that offered "full coverage with a sexy look." There were also many that promised "the perfect fit--guaranteed" (they didn't fit, by the way--do I sue, or just write a formal complaint? Will they give me my money back if I never actually bought them? I mean, it says guaranteed. Hmmm...) and several that would look "great under a t-shirt". (Which is good, because I usually don't wear them over my t-shirts. I'm not supposed to, am I?) One was designed to "minimize by at least 1.5 inches" (which I didn't really understand in my size, but anyway...) and another promised to "smooth out back fat." (Could they not think of anything else to call it? Back fat? That just sounds...gross. The feature did work, by the way. Not that I have back fat or anything. Because that would just be...um, gross.) I think I went back and forth from the dressing room at least three times and was in the store about an hour and a half. (Yes, this is one of the reasons I didn't ever have a bra that fit me well while I had three little girls at home. Can you imagine this with three grouchy onlookers? No thanks!)

In the end, I settled on something boring and reliable. Much like the rest of my wardrobe. It does have a fancy name to try to get it to seem like more than it really is: "the feeling sexy push-up". But I suppose if having the girls up where they belong, instead of in their post-nursing, hovering near your waist position is sexy, then the name fits. Or maybe I should wear the bra over the top of my t-shirt after all. That might be really sexy. Perhaps I've just been doing things wrong all along.

13 comments:

  1. Hilarious. I thinnk you should try it on top of your t-shirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could the torture of bra shopping be any more complex, really? Why do they need all those letters, numbers, fits and functions all coming together to create something that sort of fits one way but is all wrong somewhere else. I usually end up walking out with two bras that are sized differently but fit about the same, how does that happen? And by usually I mean the three times in the last six years of being a mommy that I've actually subjected myself to the "I want to rip my hair out" experience of bra shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! This has been on my to do list for far too long too. I can't imagine taking a 2 year old to buy one though. She opens the door enough when I'm trying on anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott had NO idea it was that complex. You hit the nail right on the head, K. Thanks for the smile (and so needed on a day like today).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I thought we were going to do this together (remember the RS campout?). I bought 2 bras a couple of months ago, my once in every 10 year purchase... should have waited until I had stopped nursing, I may have to resort to stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You forget there is an expert in the family. And you couldn't wait until after they were modeled on TV tonight? We erally need to make a trip next July to the storewith Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, bra shopping. So at the bottom of my list of favorite things. And you're absolutely right...there are too many options! I never know where to start, let alone with what size I should be wearing. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane,
    I know--I was wishing for Amy through the whole mess! I went cheap this time so I can afford to go to VS with Amy when I come out there next. Mark your calendar for a bra shopping extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha! you know what I hate worse than bra shopping? nursing-bra shopping.

    also, you pull out your nose hairS????? OUCHIE!!! trim trim trim (I am such a wimp!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I the only one who goes to Salt Lake City to have bra fittings??? The Macy's at the Cottonwood mall has a lady well trained in fitting, that is if you are not too embarrassed to do it. At my age I have to have these girls lifted and a good fit is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went bra shopping while I was in Utah. Our cousin, Amy helped me. I think I tried on a total of 4 bras. She is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Nancy. Having someone professional actually fit you makes the experience so much better. Even if you go to Victoria's Secret and have someone size you, you don't have to buy a bra there. You could go back to Kohl's, get your 50% off, and still have a better idea of where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm late to comment on this, but it's been "starred" in my google reader for a few days. This was one of your best posts! So funny. I can't wait to see the pictures of you wearing your bra on top of your t-shirt. You'll totally start a trend I'm sure. People eat up that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails