May 13, 2009

The Perfect Platter

When I got married, I decided that I would not choose china, serving dishes, and fancy stemware thinking that by the time I would actually have a home for entertaining, and a cause to do so, I would want a different style of china than my under-experienced twenty-year-old self would pick out. I was right. But what I didn't factor in to this great equation was that when I did want china, I would be the mother of three young girls, and the wife of one college professor, and the co-owner of college loans. And a list of wants longer than my arm, and my other arm, and both legs.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there were (and are) many things on our to-buy list that are so much more important than china. So, we use our trusty Corelle given to me by my loving aunts at my bridal shower.

I am ever grateful that the practical bride that was me chose the 'Winter Frost White' pattern instead of the other beauties that were popular around my wedding time.
I have nothing against sunflowers, seed packets, or bumblebees. I just think maybe my plate would be a weird place to encounter them. Every day. For fifteen years. Perhaps now you understand the relief that is mine. White is good. Sunflowers are bad.

So, the point of my reminiscing about plates and patterns--While I don't mind our Corelle that is trusty and plain, I do mind that I don't have any fancy large platters to carry treats and treasures to the occasional baby shower or church shin-dig. But, as predictable as this may seem, I want a white one.

But not Corelle. Something solid and large and plain and not earth shatteringly expensive. It may come as a surprise to you that these ample, modest and satisfyingly heavy platters also come with an ample price tag. Which is why I nearly cried out with glee when I was browsing the clearance isle and saw a perfectly simple, yet substantial, white platter for three dollars.

I snatched it up, and checked for flaws. One miniscule fingerprint on the bottom of the oval platter was not going to hinder it's performance at all, so home I went with my treasure.

I proudly showed my find to the girls, to the husband, and would have showed the neighbors if my family didn't stop me. I tempered my disappointment of it not being socially acceptable to run through the streets showing off my find by thinking about the many social events this fabulous platter would attend. It would be famous. I would be proud to carry it anywhere.

And now, I'm guessing that you are hoping that I will bring it to the next party you invite me to. Or, that you can at least catch a glimpse of it through the scientific wonderness called the World Wide Web. And, you shall not be disappointed. Here it is, in all it's glory:
In the garbage. Which is where it was a mere twelve hours after it joined our household. A glass dish was dropped on the platter, and the platter did not survive. The other dish was Corelle, so, of course, it's not going anywhere. It's been around fifteen years and aims to make it another seventy. Someday, I will have a large, plain, and perfectly heavy white platter to put my goodies on. And maybe it will be a Corelle.

14 comments:

  1. OH NO!!!!!! really really really sad :(

    I bought platters at WalMart a couple years ago after Thanksgiving on clearance. They were dirt cheap and have survived (so far) 2 moves. Keep your eye out.

    p.s. I think they might've even had white!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most awful story I have read in the last three hours (of avoiding housework by reading about other people doing housework). I was at Walmart this last week and found some cute white platters....square and rectangle, kind of trendy but classy enough to last. I didn't buy them because I got plenty of far out of style platters and sunflower covered corelle ware for my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your great loss. :) If I ever bake cookies or other treats to share with others, I will remember this tragic story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you will find another platter (a blessing for not choosing the sunflower plates), even if it does take another 15 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh No!! If it makes you feel any better, about 4 years ago I finally got rid of my chipped Corelle and bought myself....plain white every day dishes with a white basket weave edge. I bought a ton and I am glad I did, since a few have broken and the pattern is no longer available. It only took me 35 years of marriage - wait -- I probably shouldn't have told you that part.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sad. I'm in the market for platters too. I hear Target and Crate and Barrel have reasonably priced and good looking ones. Not $3, but hopefully close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5/14/2009

    Who knew that a platter story would receive such an overwhelming response!

    When you mentioned running through the neighborhood with your new platter, I thought, "Not a good idea, then you'll drop it and break it."

    Sigh.

    I'll keep an eye out for a new, "great deal" platter. Don't worry, the next one will be even better...and might last a week or two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pst... Check the local second hand stores. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame! But you were very practical to chose that white. I wish I had done that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so much saddness. Thou she lived a short life she will be missed! At least you didn't pay full price. Now that would be heart breaking.

    Yard sale season is here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three years ago, I started buying only white serving pieces to go with my 12 yr old white corelle. If you are driving out this summer, Tai Pan has tons of white serving dishes. Just bought a large platter there. And they are cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the irony! So, so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is just terrible! i want to send you a platter now!

    i, too, have gone without china since our wedding. and am so grateful that my everyday stuff is cream colored with a little cream colored rope trim on the outside. boring? yes. but not revolting 12 years later. thank goodness. because i would rather have 35 different things than a new set of china or everyday dishes right now. that list never ends, does it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails