January 9, 2009

The Elephant in the Room

Most of the time, I make only brief references to my daily headaches and how that affects my life or my family life. Today, this whole post is about that. Just to get it out there and get it over with. We'll bite off the whole elephant in one post, and then get on with life as "normal."

I like to pretend that I feel fine all of the time. It's easier that way. It's easier for you, for sure, and most of the time it's easier for me. I know you don't want to think about me being in pain all of the time, and even when I am, I'd rather think about something else. The truth is, sometimes I think that if I never talk about it and never think about it, it will go away. But, that doesn't happen. It's always there, which is why sometimes it seeps out onto my blog even when I don't want it to. While most times, it's easier to ignore it, it sometimes is just too hard to ignore. Elephants are big, and chronic pain is a really big (unfortunately) part of my life. An every day, chronic, part of it.

Most of you reading this know the "other me". The me that pretends that I feel great, and can do things "normally" all the time. I'm a pretty good actor, because I don't like to let people down. I like to do things "normally", and a lot of the time, (really, most of the time) I pay for it later. This is especially true of family that lives far away. If I see you one time a year, I'll make the best of it, taking medication and using all of my energy to appear normal and without pain. The truth is, sometimes I'm feeling fine, but most of the time it's the me that's acting like I'm fine. I just never know. That's one of the hardest parts--predicting when I'll feel fine, and when I might not. It's very unpredictable. I never know, which is why it's mostly easier to medicate and pretend I'm fine than it is to cancel plans so I can sleep.

Some of you have seen the "real me". The one that is too tired to talk on the phone, or in too much pain to remember the name of the book I read last week. I've heard before, and I agree, that sometimes this acting I do, helps me feel in control. I can't control how I feel, but I can control who I let see how I really feel. That way, I am controlling some part of my chronic illness that I did not choose to have and controls my life more than I'd like to admit. I should let more people see the "real me", but it goes back to what I said before, it's just easier to hide it and ignore it. Easier for you and easier for me.

Gratefully, I have a saint for a husband. I'm sure he hates the pain as much as I do. Probably more. He's the one that picks up my day if I've used all my "good time" up. If I've used all of my good time with the girls' class in the morning ,or going visiting teaching, or just doing laundry and sweeping the floor, he's the one that makes dinner, helps with homework, all the things I want to do (okay, some days nobody wants to make dinner, but I want to be well enough to do it, even if I don't want to do it!) King's incredibly patient and kind. He knows I do my best and he wants me to be able to do normal things, too, so he picks up the slack. My hope is that the girls will remember the fun field trips and mom who helps at school sometimes even though I know that they will also remember the mom who has to go to bed to rest or asks them to talk in hushed voices so it won't be too loud. This is what I hate the most about being sick.

Now, people, when they see the "real me" wonder what they can do to help. The thing is, not much. I've had a few fabulous friends that have brought frozen meals to help on the days when I just can't do food, and friends who have helped with cleaning, and running the girls here and there, but, the thing with this chronic headache thing is that it is so unpredictable that I couldn't tell you how I'll feel next month, next week, or even in the next hour. I don't know what I'll need, because I don't know what I'll be able to do. But I do know some things that would help if you don't do them...

1. Don't assume if I sound great that I'm feeling great. I sound happy because I am happy. I probably still feel bad. Don't say things like "you sound like you are feeling better" and "you seemed great the other day" if I say I'm not feeling well now. Maybe I was feeling great the other day, but chances are, it was the acting thing. I know it's not fair of me, but I also really don't like when people say, "I hope you feel better soon." You know what? I won't. This is a chronic thing. Maybe "I hope you have a better day tomorrow" would be better.

2. Don't try to "fix" me. Yes, I drink a lot of water. Yes, I've tried this natural thing and that other thing. Yes, I get enough sleep. If you've heard of a "fix", I probably have, too. I am going to doctors (admittedly, not as frequently as I could--expense, frustration, and lack of energy can all play into this, but I'm trying) and I'm doing what I can. I know you are trying to help, but it might help more if you just accepted that this is my life and something that will never go away. (Yes, of course I hope it will go away, but just accepting it for what it is helps me more.) If you must tell me about a cure, please don't be offended if I don't act excited. If it is something I think might help, I'll ask my doctors about it.

3. Don't get upset if I don't seem happy to talk to you or if I cancel plans at the last minute. It has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with me. I am going to try to do better this year about saying no when my body needs me to. Don't be offended and take it personally, please. I like to be a responsible and reliable person, so this one is hard for me. Don't make it harder on me by helping me feel guilty about things that I don't intend, or things that I just really can't physically do at the time.

4. Don't feel sorry for me. I do enough of that for the both of us. :) I really do have a great life and am blessed in so many ways. If I seem depressed about having a headache every day, I probably am. But, I am not having a headache because I am depressed. I am generally happy and try to make the best of my situation. God has blessed me in many ways because of my illness, and will likely bless me more. I try to look at the ways this can bless my girls and family rather than how it will hurt them. Sometimes that's hard. But, it would help me if you could do the same.

So, this was a long spewing of things that I hope I won't regret later. Thanks for listening (if you have, in fact, made it this far). I guess I just needed to put it out there so you know where I am coming from. I'll end with some of the scriptures that I love to read to give me perspective and give me hope and faith when I feel the worst. Maybe they can help you have a better day today, also!

20 My God hath been my asupport; he hath led me through mine bafflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.

26 O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath avisited men in so much bmercy, cwhy should my dheart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?

James 5: 11
11 Behold, we count them ahappy which bendure. Ye have heard of the patience of cJob, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very dpitiful, and of tender emercy.

Alma 33: 1
11 And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my asincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine bafflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, cbecause of thy Son.

2 Cor. 4: 14-18
14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the athanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the ainward man is renewed day by day.
17 For our light aaffliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and beternal cweight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are aseen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not bseen are ceternal.
3 And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their atrust in God shall be supported in their btrials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be clifted up at the last day.

I did some researching and found some articles I read a few months back that I really thought were helpful to me and to those who know someone with chronic illness. Some of my thoughts here seem to reflect those in the articles, so we're definitely on the same page and I should give them some credit. You can see a letter written to those who know someone in pain here, and a couple of essays here and here.

14 comments:

  1. I am glad you're not hiding it from us anymore. I understand dealing with chronic illness. It can be a hard road knowing that I will have to battle until my death with the monster inside. You and I will have to fight on with faith dear cousin. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should not regret writing this. I hope it gives people a better understanding. At the very least they have been forewarned. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/09/2009

    I have a friends who suffers from chronic headaches. One time when I saw her, she was especially thin and I asked her what she had been doing to loose so much weight. She said that her doctor have given her such a restrictive diet to control the headaches, that she couldn't eat a lot of food that she enjoys. So, not only does she have the headaches (albeit diminished), she can't eat anything fun!
    Chronic pain is no fun - some sources of this pain are more visible than others. Sometimes we say things that may seem unkind simply because we want to express our sympathy in the only way we know how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so entirely honest and brave to write up "the whole elephant" on your blog. If only we were all so honest about being multi-emotional at any given moment we'd probably better understand each other.
    Wish I lived closer and could enjoy those walking days with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My coworker has been dealing with daily migraines for years and the doctors just discovered they're probably caused by a hole in her heart. Explanation, but not a cure. Your post is a good reminder that everyone has challenges, some you just don't see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1/09/2009

    I love you, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I almost decided to have this post not allow comments, because, really, what do you say after that?!!
    Denise--I agree,people do say things that seem unkind but they are only trying to show support and love. I do appreciate these things and hope I didn't come across as mad at people that are trying to be helpful. I can't imagine how many stupid things I've said to people when I'm just trying to express sympathy or love.
    Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I hope no one feels bad for anything they've ever said to me (or someone else). I am always grateful for your love and support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing. That can't have been an easy thing to do...I know that I like to keep my problems hidden from the internet most of the time. It's just easier for me that way. But anyway. It's not fair that something so miserable was doled out to you, but it's comforting to know that the Lord doesn't give you challenges beyond what He knows you can handle. And it seems like this is incredibly true in your case. It's not fun, and I'm sure it's not easy, but not everyone can put on a happy face when they're feeling miserable like you can. Anyway, I'm thinking of you and hope you have a better day tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your honesty oh gracious queen, but my heart and head say, no, no, no! Being a person that doesn't cope well with a hangnail, I'm always deeply troubled by your pain. I want to just fix it, make it go away, banish it, not just for you but for king and princesses! But I'm trying to finally learn that I don't control the universe and I can't control this but I can love you and pray for you. You have that from me always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel better soon-- I'm KIDDING . . . even though I wish saying it really would make it so. I apparently am elephant-blind because until your comment in the newsletter the other day, I really had no idea it was anything chronic. I just have to say that I'm so impressed with all the good things you ARE able to do, probably much more than I get done, and the only chronic condition I have is grumpiness. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much for sharing this. it is so important that we share and talk about issues like this so that we can better understand each other and get away from the judging and pettiness that can so quickly creep in when we can't see someone else's pain.

    i am grateful that you are able to find solace (if not relief) in the scriptures and that you have such a supportive husband. you are a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1/20/2009

    Thank you, I don't know you but, I am so encouraged by your strength. To deal with and to let people see the real you. A week ago I got the courage to ask my doctor for a antidepressants--it makes me feel so weak, why can't I beat this on my own. After three months of crying in bed all day I got the courage to drive to the pharmacy...the doctor hadn't called the persciption in. So I drove home to 4 kids who need me to get over this. I havn't talked to my friends in months if they seen the real me they would know that I am to weak to beat this on my own. Thanks for showing me that sometmes even if reality isn't pretty it is still real.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Anonymous,
    Thanks for stopping by! I hope you come back to see my little note to you. I am so glad you had the courage to go to the doctor and get some help, that's the hardest part. Please do tell at least one friend what your reality is. It makes it so much easier to muddle through when you know one person knows your whole struggle. It sounds like you have a wonderful family of four kids and I hope that you can get to where you want to be soon. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails