January 12, 2009

Planning

Yesterday, I was driving Cinderella to an activity, and she decided to tell me all about her future wedding reception.

"I want it to be like Aunt Scrappy's and Aunt Emmy's receptions combined together."

"Oh really," I say. What could she remember from Scrappy's?--she was three. And only seven at Em's. This ought to be good... "Like what?"

"Well, I want a cotton candy machine like at Aunt Scrappy's. I love cotton candy. Do you like it? Wouldn't that be yummy? I could eat so much of that stuff. It just melts in your mouth and you don't even have to chew it. That would be so fun.

"And then I want Celine Dion songs playing at my reception like Aunt Emmy's. Remember that?"

"Uh, I guess, maybe a song or two," I strain to recall, "But, what if your husband doesn't like cotton candy or Celine Dion? Then what?"

"Oh, that doesn't matter. I love them."

"Well, marriage isn't about only you. It's about him, too. You have to compromise and make decisions together. Maybe you can have the cotton candy and he can choose music he likes. You'll have to see. There will be two people, always discussing."

"Mom. Duh, I know that. I'm not talking about marriage, though. I'm talking about the reception."

Oh, silly me. How could I be so stupid?

Is she really old enough to plan her wedding? She's only twelve! I guess I better start thinking about what I want at her reception. Just in case there is some compromising I need to be prepared for.

9 comments:

  1. So funny! Well, if her husband does not like cotton candy I will rent the machine and make Ned run it during the reception. Then I will be "the crazy aunt that brought a cotton candy machine to our wedding" forever! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cotton Candy and Celine Dion! And she's serious which makes it all the better. I can't wait to attend her reception. I think bridesmaid dresses of Cotton Candy pink are in order. And a special musical number by the Queen lipsinking a Dion song! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how girls like to plan weddings, but the actual marriage often gets brushed to side? And it doesn't seem to change once kids arrive...it's much easier to be excited have a baby than it is to think about that baby growing up to be a toddler, a teenager...a husband or wife?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny. I like both ideas. I got the Celine Dion music and Shaun got a popcorn machine. Although I'm not sure he cared too much about anything at the reception except when it was going to end. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's right you know, guys don't give a flip about the reception. The honeymoon, yes. But the reception?, meh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Tawny asking for a chocolate fountain at that age. That's what going into Young WOmens does to them, starts them looking forward to marriage! I'm loooking forward to it more now, let her future husband deal with her:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hilarious. and she is spot-on. most husbands will just sit back and let their wives-to-be plan the reception. i know a few who have had strong opinions, but usually it is the bride and her mother who are making compromises. as has been said before, the groom just can't wait for the reception to be over.

    i definitely started planning my wedding at least a decade before it took place. and i don't think that one element that i loved at 12 years old was there at 24, except the temple marriage part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must save this for the wedding reception. This needs to be posted prominently where the groom's mother can gasp in horror next to the albums of Cinderella's pictures and the one or two shots of him. It's called how to meet the future in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if her reception has cotton candy, i'm in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails