June 25, 2009

Our Grand Adventure

Last Saturday, we headed to the Grand Canyon with Grandma and Grandpa, Auntie Em, Uncle Shaun, and cousins Ethan and Spencer. Thanks to my superior organization and planning ahead skills, I had my camera, but left my battery to the camera plugged into the wall. Luckily, Shaun is a great photographer and remembered all of his camera equipment, too.

On the way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we stopped at the historic Pipe Spring National Monument. It was interesting, and much smaller than I remember. When I went as a girl, there were people dressed in period dress working in the Cheese Room of the Winsor Castle. They don't do that anymore. Sadly, this made the tour lose some of the magic and charm to me. It was still interesting, and the girls liked it, but I think I'll still choose to remember it as it is in my mind from my childhood.We eventually made our way to Grand Canyon National Park. For our picnic just inside the park, the weather was beautiful.


By the time we made it to the rim of the canyon thirty minutes later, a storm was rolling in. It was pretty cool, but made for less than perfect viewing of the giant crevice. After being rained on for a bit, we took shelter in the Grand Canyon Lodge. It was cozy.After a few minutes, the rain slowed to a spritz, so we headed out to the viewing platforms. They made half of our party a little nervous about the heights, and the other half of us--okay, really only Shaun--so excited about the views that he forgot about his safety and climbed atop a little cliff to get a good picture. We were all screaming at him to get down, a picture wasn't worth a dead family member. In the end, he got some pictures and escaped with his life. Turns out we were overreacting a bit. Maybe. It really was scary.

I don't know what Snow White is doing in this picture. She was the queen of silly faces on this trip, for sure.
The death defying picture:
You see this white rock in the middle of this picture? That is what Shaun climbed up on to take the picture. He said it didn't make him nervous until he got a look at it from afar.
The canyon was beautiful. We had a grand time. It is definitely a memory none of us will forget soon.

6 comments:

  1. In that first pic it looks like you are disgusted with whatever's being said. I love the family pic! Great lighting when it's overcast, good photographers like to climb to weird places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family took a Grand Canyon trip back when I was about Cinderella's age and I still think of it fondly. Those pictures brought back lots of memories! Glad to hear you guys are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the grand canyon! I worked at Jacob Lake for a summer in college and have good memories of that place. Glad you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I have driven past there a million times and never stopped to enjoy! And Sean is crazy for climbing on that rock, but the picture really was good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been. You have some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was at a stop at Pipe Spring on our way to the Grand Canyon where I saw my first polygamist family. It was a momentous day, let me assure you. ...Okay, just kidding. But it was still pretty fascinating.

    I'm glad you guys are having such a fun time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails