June 4, 2009

Summer Begins

Today was the first official day of summer break. I told the girls they got one free day of lying about being lazy bums. I even made them some not-healthy-at-all coffee cake for a late breakfast. I'm pretty sure after nearly nine hours of TV and computer games, their brains are part mush. The easier to brainwash them all, I suppose. I think I'll start with telling them that the words, "okay, Mom, I'll do it right now" are magic and get you just about anything you want in this castle. But, since I've tried this approach before, I'm not expecting it to make many changes around here.

Not counting on the brainwashing to go well, we have come up with a plan for the summer. It involves daily chores earning summer "money" that can be cashed in for items I have on hand, lunch or dessert dates with dad, or computer/TV time. All required chores must be done for the day before any summer money is cashed in. For at least the next two weeks, these are the required chores:
  • Bathroom Chore (Sink, Floor, or Toilet)
  • Kitchen Chore (Sweep Dining, Sweep Kitchen, or Wipe Table)
  • Vacuuming Chore (Living Room, Family Room or Hallway)
  • Empty Dishwasher
  • Read 30 minutes
  • Practice Piano/Dance
  • Schoolwork (Math or Language)
  • Help with Dinner (1 X per week)
Extra summer money can be earned by doing extra chores, such as:
  • Folding Laundry
  • Mopping Floor
  • Hand Dishes
  • Pulling Weeds
  • Reading longer than 30 minutes
  • Extra Schoolwork
  • Getting Rid of Mom's Headaches
I'm just kidding about that last one. Actually, come to think of it, I'm not. If they really could somehow do it, I'd give them fake summer money and real money. I'd rather give it to them than the doctors! :)

Of course, it won't be all work and no play. We also plan on having them enjoy their summer break. That's sort of the point of this whole money system. I have limited energy and "good headache hours" each day, and I don't want to spend those hours nagging about chores. I want to spend those hours making memories that last forever. The dishes will always be there, but the girls won't be this young forever. Pretty soon, (too soon, I'm afraid) they won't want to spend time with mom at all. I mean, how long can it really be cool to sing Air Supply and Celine Dion at the top of your lungs as you drive to the library?

3 comments:

  1. No offense, but I think the only one that should sing Celine Dion at the top of their lungs is Celine Dion. And maybe that Tatiana chick. :)

    Good luck with the chores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me.. I know my son never wanted to actually do anything but after a day and a half of summer vacation he would be whining he had nothing to do and it 'was boring'

    so having stuff to do, even things like chores makes the nothing to do appreciated more

    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great plan. Hope it works great and those summer memories keep pouring in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails