June 28, 2009

Zions and Grafton

Monday, we headed to Zion National Park with the family. Dad borrowed a 12 passenger van for us to ride over in. The girls thought that was pretty fun. They especially liked the bouncy back seat.R.Jay came down from Provo to go with us. Emily and Shaun came, too. (Again, most of the pictures are from his camera.) We started with the "Overlook" hike. And when I say "we" I mean everyone but me. I was nursing a pretty good headache by 9:00 a.m., so I took a nap in the van while they hiked up to get a great look at the canyon. They loved it.The Park has a pretty great shuttle system, so we rode the tram and learned about the canyon. We got off and hiked a couple of times. Our first stop was at "Weeping Rock". It was a short little hike, and pretty, too. Water leaks out of the rocks overhead and kind of drips on you a bit. Many discussions were had on the inconvenience of water, rain, and wearing glasses. More discussions were had on the worth of hiking a small trail just to get "weeped" on. The consensus was we should leave the drippy place and go on a "cooler" hike. Whatever. I thought it was pretty, and I actually could make the hike which means it was pretty cool in my book.We also stopped at the end of the shuttle line in the room they call "The Kitchen". It's beautiful. The different colors of the rocks are amazing, and the sky was so blue. We took a little walk to the river, and after Uncle R.Jay braved the cold water, the girls thought they would give it a go. They had a great time wading in the ice cold refreshing water. Eventually King joined in, too.On the way home from Zions, we stopped at the Ghost Town of Grafton. It's a miracle we didn't blow out a tire on the van bumping along the dirt road to the town. I remember going there with my cousins, the Johnsens, when I was young. It felt a bit creepier then. It still does feel a bit creepy, though, thinking about the lives of the people that used to live there and when and why they left. There are still plenty of lizards living there. Lots of flies, too.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun. It makes me excited for our upcoming trip West!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures! It looks like your little family is having a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. These pictures are amazing! I especially like the picture of the stone steps. What a gorgeous excursion!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails