August 9, 2009

The Garbage Monster

You ever have one of those days where some unknown creature takes possession of your body and totally loses it with your kids? And, after it's all over, your throat hurts from screaming? And, you just sort of want to crawl into a hole and sleep for a few minutes, or hours, or days? Well, probably you never have, but I have. And I don't like those days, or at least those monstrous minutes of them.

Today started out fine. We went to church, (and had no wardrobe problems before church, which is great.) It was a nice meeting, and, despite my head feeling like it was going to explode, and the whole dizzy every time I closed my eyes thing, I was glad to be there. The kids in Primary were especially funny and charming today, and we had a quiet afternoon around here.

And then, something hit the fan. I'm not sure what it was, but all of the sudden, kids needed to be in bed, daddy wasn't here, and because of the short temper of one of my children, the kitchen garbage was tipped over and cascaded across the floor. The floor that I spent nearly all of my energy, a mere two days ago, mopping. Well, let's just say it wasn't pretty, and I'm not talking about the garbage. Nothing like screaming out of control to make a bad headache worse. And, I'm pretty sure the whole "you need to learn to control your temper" lecture seems pretty ridiculous coming from a red-faced monster.

The mess was cleaned up, the children were put in bed, Daddy came home, and I sat down and read. Lucky for me, what I chose to read was an article entitled Respect and Reverence, where I read these words:

"May I suggest that our ability and our credibility to exemplify reverence for God is strengthened as we show respect for each other. In today’s society, the standards of decorum, dignity, and courtesy are assailed on every side and in every form of media. As parents and leaders, our examples of respect for each other are critical for our youth and children because they are watching not only the media—they are watching us! Are we the examples we need to be?

Ask yourself these questions: Am I an example of respect in my home by the way I treat those I love the most? ..."

Gulp. And it continues, with more questions asked, and, sadly, more of my answers I didn't like much. Well, it's certain that I lost all credibility tonight, and I have some changing to do. But thankfully, these words were also in the talk, and I know they are true:

" 'While we may not see an immediate, miraculous transformation, as surely as the Lord lives, a quiet one will take place. The spiritual power in the lives of each member and in the Church will increase. The Lord will pour out his Spirit upon us more abundantly. We will be less troubled, less confused. We will find revealed answers to personal and family problems.' Ensign, Nov. 1991, 23"

So, I aim to be a better example of reverence for Deity by treating His children that are living in my home with more respect and reverence. Change will come, and I'm glad it'll be quiet. We had enough loud for tonight. And, just so you know, I am also not ever again asking my daughter to do something foolish like brush her teeth instead of watch TV when she is standing next to a full garbage that is just begging to be tipped over. Won't have to learn from that stinking mistake twice.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those thoughts. We have all been there unfortunately, but change is attainable. Don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the mom-days we didn't know about when we signed up for motherhood, but I'm pretty sure they are universal. I guess the goal is to make them as infrequent as we possibly can... and like the article said, it is a slow process. But it will come. The kids might have to move out, but it will come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment. We so appreciate your prayers and I want you to know we are praying and thinking of you and your headaches and are praying for some relief for you.

    I have definitely had those outbursts and then I feel like I'm the worst mother in the world. I think we all go through it. Thank goodness for the inspired words of the Ensign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I was just thinking, have you tried a chiropractor for your headaches? I work with a chiro who treats chronic and sometimes severe migraines with some really good results. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, maybe if you try not to read articles that make you feel bad, you'll feel better--or less bad. :) How's that for words of wisdom!?
    (Was I politically correct enough?)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails