September 8, 2008

Baby Steps at WalMart

This past weekend, I made the mistake of heading to WalMart on a Saturday. Living in a college town, this isn't such a grave mistake from June to August. But, once the students are back, it's best to stay away.

I needed some mascara, so I headed to the cosmetic aisles. I smiled at the cute group of middle school girls oohing and aahing over lip gloss and proceeded to make my mascara choice, wondering where their mothers were. As I debated, I overheard one of them say, "Man, this stuff is expensive, I'm letting my mom buy it next time she visits. Hey, do you guys think we should get more toilet paper for our bathroom while we are here?"

What? These are college students?! When did they start looking so young? I was feeling very old. At least I actually had make up on and was dressed decently, since I had just come from a church meeting. I was looking pretty good. But, even so, I wasn't looking as young and hip as I hoped.

I headed over to grab Cinderella some allergy meds. As I bent down to make my choice, a few unruly college boys were trying to impress their co-eds, and sped around the corner with their cart. "Watch out for that lady!" said one, as he showed off his muscles wielding the cart through the isle quickly. Lady? Lady? Sigh.

I decided that it wasn't a big mistake to come to WalMart after all, because it had afforded me to take the opportunity to reinvent myself. I will concentrate more on how I appear and help myself look young and adorable. In vogue and trendy. And I'd start with the sunglasses I needed to buy.

I looked at my options while surreptitiously peeking at the young ladies passing in their sunglasses. I tried on the "Hollywood" style glasses and decided this was a good start at my overhaul. They looked good. And hid the crows feet. So, I would buy them. Until I looked at the price tag. 27 dollars? For glasses that I throw into my purse with my keys and sit on almost every day? I don't think so. I settled on a five dollar pair that looked okay, and I would feel a whole lot better about abusing. Besides, they looked a little like the specs the petite brunette looking at the watches was wearing. And, since she was wearing hardly any other clothing, I surmised that she was "in the know" on these fashion things. All the co-eds wear mini-shorts and tanks if it's over 60 degrees and she looked like the rest of them. If the glasses were good for her, they were good for me.

I made my purchases and was feeling pretty great about buying hip sunglasses at a fabulous price. They weren't the best, but I had gone with more fashionable ones than I normally would have. You know, to turn over a new fashion leaf. Baby steps.

It was sunny outside, though. And I didn't have scissors to cut the tag off. So, I put them on and let the tag hang free down my nose. Real cool like. And I'm pretty sure as I left the parking lot, an adorable nineteen-year-old boy did a double take and checked me out. I think I'm making actual fashion strides.

7 comments:

  1. LOL! I already look at college "kids" and think they look like children! Did I look that young 5 years ago?! I need to work on my hipness, too. I don't think my clip-ons count as cool sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been inhibited by your fashion sence, next to you I feel like a bad goodwill advertisement! So rock on sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great. My co-worker though maybe you were going to say you would let your mother buy the $27.00 pair for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to keep the sun from burning your nose. It is only too soon that your princesses will remind you that you are not....even...cool at all (nor were you ever - you were a dork!) That word still makes me laugh. I remember when Grandma Roberts overhead you say that word to your mom and Grandma way really offended. I just laughed - because it was true of all of us grown ups. Maybe it meant something else in her day???

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are hilarious! I want to see a picture of the sunglasses. I'll bet they are really cool!
    Yeah, it stinks to get old, I don't look forward to the day that my children tell me how uncool I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to come with you next time you go to walmart...we can reinvent together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in college not too long ago buying toilet paper at the local Walmart in Ogden, UT. And we're talking within the last 6 years, so really, not THAT long ago. But GESH! The college kids sure look young lately. And they're tiny! How do they do that? I liked your post. I'm sure the 19 year old was thinking you were looking pretty hip with that tag on your nose. Maybe you'll start a new trend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails