September 10, 2008

Innocent

Don't you just love those mornings before school when things actually go smoothly? It doesn't happen a lot at our house, but today was one of those days. (Well, unless you count the fact that Cinderella skipped the shower she was supposed to take, and one of the princesses left without brushing her teeth. Still, it was a smooth, quiet morning.)

On these days, when I watch the girls climbing onto the bus, they just look so tiny and innocent. I want them to stay home with me and hang out, away from the worldly pressures and influences that bombard them all day long. And speaking of worldly pressures...

Every other month at our middle school, they have a Friday evening dance. Ridiculous. Why does an eleven-year-old need to be pressured to dance with someone? Why? I don't understand who thought this was a good idea and then actually put it into action. The school says they open up the gym about halfway through the dance, and all of the boys disappear to play basketball. Then, since there is no one to dance with, the girls follow. If this is what the kids really want to do, why don't we let them do this? Open up the gym for a night and have a game/sports night and forget all of the dancing junk. Anyway...

Needless to say, Cinderella wasn't going to the dance. Not only was she not allowed, she really didn't have much of a desire. She had a couple of friends over for pizza and games on Friday instead. They had a great time and want to do it every dance night. They are trying to recruit more sixth-graders to join them next time. Maybe the girls can influence others to engage in age-appropriate activities. It's best to keep them innocent as long as possible. They grow up so fast without adults pushing them to!

4 comments:

  1. I think you are one smart Mom. Kids should be able to stay innocent longer than they do. I'm taking notes, so I can remember all the wonderful things you are doing with Cinderella and try and implement them with my own princess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/11/2008

    Oh how I wsh I were in your kingdom. I have 4 prince charmings who were more than happy to dance with princesses in the 6th grade. Sigh... where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kinda strange that the adults organize a dance for 11 year olds... I hate to even imagine my girls old enough to dance with boys. Can't they stay babies forever???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea. The girls will have fond memories of Friday nights over at your house instead of feeling pressured to dance with boys! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails