September 18, 2008

Comfortably

Last night, King had a little shin-dig for work. Drinks and hors d'oeuvres, mixing and mingling, welcoming the new faculty. The instructions said 'dress comfortably'. I really wanted that to mean that I could leave on my sweats and t-shirt I did laundry in all day. But, sadly, I knew that this meant I should take the wardrobe up a notch from my normal. I dressed in some slacks and chose my shirt to match my limited jewelry collection. And then forgot to put jewelry on at all. I always do that.

The food was yummy. The drinks were alcoholic, so we didn't have any. The mixing and mingling was nice, we talked to three whole people. And we didn't ever figure out who the new faculty was. The good thing is, I don't think anyone noticed I was sans jewelry. I wish I had just worn my sweats.

p.s. For those of you that care, there is a video up on my Chaos blog. It's boring, but it's there. It doesn't have me or my sweats in it. You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I am always amused by the self-importance of these little get togethers. Everyone is so freakin' self conscious they hardly even notice anyone else, must less have a conversation with them (unless it involves a whole bunch of inner self talk and poor listening). Yep, sweats would be great the next time around, but maybe you could put on your jewelry to spice it up a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mingling with random people from my work does not sound like very much fun. I can see mingling with people from my department or office, but mingling with strangers can be work. Luckily, if I'm in the right mood, I can make small talk with a wall. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails