November 21, 2008

Flat

Yesterday, I hurriedly shuffled the twins into the car and started backing out of the driveway, to pick up Cinderella from after-school choir practice, when I noticed the flat tire light in the dashboard was flashing at me. Nice. I decided to investigate, and found that one rear tire was completely flat. Completely. And I really just wanted to cry. It was the last straw. Have you ever had one of those days?

However, I decided to take the higher road. I decided to laugh. I had Snow White and Sleeping Beauty hop out and come look at the gigantic screw that had adopted us sometime in the last few days. I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy when I laughed and told them we'd have to blow it up and then pray that we made it to the middle school, and then on to dance, and finally, to the tire store. We have a small air compressor that slowly, but surely, blew up the tire. We were only fifteen minutes late to get Cinderella, and twenty minutes late for dance. But, the air stayed in and we even got the tire fixed for free under a warranty. Phew.

Yes, it changed my plans for the day slightly, and I about froze my rear off blowing up the tire, but I was so glad that I took this advice from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin:

"Have you ever seen an angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam? Or have you had an encounter with an overhanging cupboard door left open at the wrong place and the wrong time which has been cursed, condemned, and avenged by a sore-headed victim?

"There is an antidote for times such as these: learn to laugh.

[...]The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."
Now, if only I can follow this advice when it's time to motivate the kids to do their Saturday chores. I may just laugh until I cry.

5 comments:

  1. wonderful advice:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing life is just FULL of straws, because these last straw moments come far too often for me. Glad you could laugh. Loved your picture, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job laughing! I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Who is going around the city laying screws down for unsuspecting drivers??? Next time this happens I'll have to remember your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was your youngest brother in town??Ahhh-- memories of your high school graduation night. Glad you could laugh instead of being embarrased this time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails