September 7, 2009

Just Call Me Lame

Okay. I have some really good reasons for my lame mistake. For starters, I was tired. And, I had a headache. Actually, I'm not really sure that I did, but since I don't remember not having one, which would be something to remember, I probably did. Also, I was talking on the phone to my sister. And the TV was on. And I had to go to the bathroom so I was in a hurry. So, really, I had no business being on facebook in the first place.

But I was. And I invited someone to be my friend, which sounds really great and friendship-y, except I don't even know her. But I thought I did. And I was distracted. And when I saw her name on a comment of one of my friends, I thought, "Yay! Jane Smith (not her real name) finally joined facebook, I'm going to add her as a friend." So I did. Then I went to the bathroom, and got on with my day.

Later, when the kids were in bed and the house was quiet, and I wasn't on the phone, I decided to check out Jane's profile. And that's when I realized that if this were really my Jane Smith friend, she would have joined facebook as Jane Smith Jones because she's married now. And then when I actually took time to look at her profile, I realize that this Jane Smith is married to my Jane Smith Jones's brother. And I've never met her. And she has no idea who I am. And I gave her a hard time about finally joining facebook and she probably has been on facebook since before I even knew about it. And I am totally lame.

So I sent her a new message. "Uh, hi Jane. Sorry about that message before. You don't know me and I don't know you, but I thought you were your sister-in-law, and I know you look nothing like her and I know your family picture has less kids than hers would and I know that she would never be married to her brother so just ignore that message and sorry I asked you to be my friend. Um, tell your husband hello from me. He'll know me as his little sister's friend, who apparently is still as dumb and naive as the thirteen year old I used to be when he knew me. I'm sure you are nice and all but we really don't need to be friends. Sorry. Sorry I said you were a slow poke. I'm sure you are super speedy and totally technical and nothing like Jane Smith Jones who still isn't on facebook. But, really, can we blame her? I mean some lame-o that doesn't know her could send her rude messages or something and that would be annoying. Yep. Sorry."

She never sent me a message back. She is sure that I am a psycho facebook stalker, probably. Clearly, I am not old enough to operate something as suave as this worldwide networking site. I really should just stick with things I know. Like email. And boring blogs with no fancy flowers or patterns running down the sides. And talking on the phone. A land line, no less. Of course. Did you expect anything more? Didn't think so.

3 comments:

  1. I think she's a lame-o for not responding to such a pithy and fun apology! Who wouldn't want to be your friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHH!!!!

    hilarious!

    and so glad you have facebook regrets as well. I have many. many, many, many ...........

    again hilarious.

    and I must know, has she still not written you back???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Yeah, I did that in person twice in the same shopping experience with a family member (who I should've known because I've known and loved him my whole life but had a major brain freeze) and then with a non pregnant sister of a pregnant girl I know! So, yeah. Not a great trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails