September 23, 2009

The Piano Plan

Yesterday, Cinderella and I met a new piano teacher. Cinderella has hit a "wall" in her piano progress, and we've been trying to decide what to do for a while. She begged to quit. I didn't want that option, and I really think she didn't either. Lately, she's been asking if she could just have a new teacher. So, I asked around and found a teacher to contact. The teacher had one hour available this week--the same hour that we usually have blocked out for piano lessons. So, we met her. And we loved her. I think she'll be perfect for Cinderella. She talked with Cinderella openly and honestly, and scored some major points when she declared one of Cinderella's least favorite songs she can play "boring". Cinderella can't wait to work on less boring songs with her. She thinks she's fun and smart and won't be "annoying like my last teacher." And, me? I'm just thrilled she's excited about practicing the piano again. Phew. I really think the solution is an answer to prayers. We couldn't ask for anything better.

And, after all that...Cinderella said this morning, "I just can't stand piano lessons. They are such a drag. I wish there was some other way to just learn it and be good. Do you think I can quit soon?"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/24/2009

    piano lessons are a drag. I wish I didn't have to practice either

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a great theory about memorizing poems, and piano songs, etc. See if Cinderella is willing to put this to the test, I would be very interested to know how it turns out!

    This is also a principle that is used in dog training, called "chaining". To teach a dog a complete trick, (say the dog taking a tissue out of a box and running over to his master when his master says "Achoo!") you teach one behaviour that is part of the trick, like giving the owner the tissue, then another (carrying the tissue across the room to the owner), then another (taking the tissue out of the box) and another (getting up and going to the box when he hears the word Achoo) and then chain them all together and you have the whole performance.

    The thing is, you need to start at the end and work backwards, so you are always working towards more familiar material, so you GAIN confidence as you move along, rather than moving into more unfamiliar territory where you feel less and less confident.

    So in Cinderalla's case, she would learn/memorize the last line, then the next to last, then the next to next to last, etc. That way, as she plays through the song, she is always playing forward towards material that she knows better and better and has more confidence in.

    I heard one study done with a music class that said it almost completely eliminated their pre-recital nerves.

    Have her give it a try and let me know how it works out!

    Give all the princesses a hug from their Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails