September 30, 2009

Let Me Tell You a Story

It was past bedtime. I was already in my pajamas and had brushed my teeth. Sleeping Beauty was still doing homework because she "forgot" she had something earlier in the day. King was "helping" Sleeping Beauty with her homework (reading his book sitting next to her on the couch) and I was nursing a headache but trying to read a book while watching Food Network and slowly starving to death. (Did I ever tell you this latest medication makes me lean toward the dramatic? I didn't? Well, obviously it does. It's a good thing I get to go off of it this week. Otherwise I just may have moved into the pit of despair with the Dread Pirate Roberts. Anyway, moving on...)

I kept thinking I heard someone talking. Like someone on TV or a book on tape. I knew this couldn't be, as Cinderella and Snow White were safely tucked in bed, and King was vigilant on the homework watch. So I decided it was my head playing tricks on me. But then it was driving me crazy. So I got up to get mad at King for abandoning Sleeping Beauty and turning on talk radio investigate. When I walked out of my room, I could tell the sound was coming from the twins' room. Strange. I quietly crept to the bedside and uncovered the lump. It was Snow White, with the receiving end of our ancient baby monitor. She smiled sheepishly at me.

And I said, "What in the world is going on here?"

And she said, "Cinderella wanted to read me a story."

And the baby monitor said, "...and Lady was the happiest dog in the world until Jim Dear and Darling brought a baby home to live with them..."

So I walked down the hall to discover Cinderella under her bedspread with a flashlight, the Disney Favorites book, and the baby monitor. All I could do was silently confiscate the contraband. If I had spoken, I would have revealed my amusement at the brilliant show of sibling accord. What kind of kid chooses this way to finally show she can do something nice for her sister? I just never know what will happen next around this place.

5 comments:

  1. That's great!
    I bought stevia yesterday so I could share some with you. But the child who put away the groceries can't remember seeing it or putting it anywhere. It will show up eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny, cute, and naughty. I love/hate those moments when you don't know whether to scream or laugh and praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!

    I would have been the pushover and praised them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. I love the fact that they still enjoy stories. I love bedtime stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What smart (and naughty) girls you have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails