September 29, 2009

Yum-O

So it's been over a week since I started my Gluten Free/Dairy Free diet. So far, my headaches feel the same. I like that I am eating more fruits and vegetables than normal. That's really good. I'll have to keep that up forever, right? My friend and visiting teacher brought me some new grains and information, which helps a lot. Only rice is a little boring. I don't like that I don't really get to have any good treats. Sure, I can adapt and make those cookies with bean or soy flour, but they just aren't the same gooey goodness, and frankly, I don't have the energy or drive to experiment with lots of recipes and flours at the moment. An Oreo shake just can't be replaced. Gratefully, a nice friend in my ward brought me some gluten-free treats this weekend. So nice! Why do I think I need treats to preserve my sanity? Maybe headaches aren't my biggest problem...

Yesterday, I hit the gluten-free section of our local grocery store. I figured there had to be something there that was easy and delicious. I was in luck. They had a brownie mix that was gluten and dairy free. I eagerly put it in my cart, and headed to the produce department. But, then I thought I had better check the instructions to make sure it didn't call for anything crazy. It didn't--just eggs and water. But it had some serving instructions that made me pause: "For easier serving, cut when warm with a serrated knife using a gentle sawing motion." What? What kind of brownies need to be cut with a sawing motion? What would they taste like? Bricks? I decided that six dollars for chocolaty concrete was a little steep after all. Instead, I am feeling better with gluten/dairy-free chocolate chips stored safely in my freezer. No sawing with serrated knifes needed. Just open and eat, ignoring the waxy texture. Delish!

4 comments:

  1. LOL... sawing motion. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my regular old delicious Betty Crocker brownies say to use a sawing motion also. They might not be too bad. I think you should go back and get them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing terrific! Keep up the good work. That sawing motion really helps with tricept muscle building, and you work up an appetite to where it actually tastes OK.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails