September 3, 2009

Reminiscent Rambling

One of my friends in my ward is having twins. She's due in a month, so really she could have them any day. We're having a shower for her tonight, and it's got me thinking back on life when our little twins arrived. It seems like just yesterday, yet, it seems that so much has happened since they were born. Weird how time does that.When Cinderella turned two, I was around 20 weeks pregnant. I was starting to feel like I might make it through the days without feeling too pregnant sick. I had a little bit of energy and spent more of my day out of bed than in it, which was quite an improvement over how I'd felt the sixteen weeks prior to that point. We had a little party for Cinder, and she was miserable. She got medicine for a dual ear infection the next day.

From that day in early October, until mid-January, poor Cinderella had an ear infection almost non-stop. She would be on an antibiotic for ten days, and by the twelfth day be running a fever and start all over again. It was awful. And, compacting the problem was the fact that in late October I was put on bedrest. So, we spent much of our little time we had together (our friends took turns taking Cinderella during the days while King was working on his PhD) taking medicine and visiting the pediatrician. I know there were at least two times that my contractions were bad enough that it scared me into sending Cinderella to the pediatrician with my friends. Poor little thing.

In mid-January, I was done. I didn't want more antibiotics or more fevers, and no more trips to the pediatrician; I wanted the problem fixed. So, we had tubes put in her ears. It was a sad day to watch her go into surgery, but one of the best decisions we ever made. She was so much happier afterward! And she hasn't had an ear infection since.

Two weeks later, the twins were born, and then my mind is a little foggy as to how well everyone was feeling. I think Cinderella was just so thrilled to stay home every day and have me get out of bed and play with her that she didn't really seem to mind all of the hours that I sat on the couch or floor and nursed her baby sisters. She even begged to help feed "the babes" a bottle occasionally. And, it was adorable.That was the beginning of Cinderella's love affair with babies. She loves them. She once spent the entire four days we were with my sister and her kids holding my littlest nephew every moment she could. I think the only time anyone else had him was when my sister had to feed him. Cinderella hugged him and rocked him and shushed him and changed him. She was in heaven. (2006) Cinderella cannot wait for these new little babies to arrive in our ward. She has told me that she plans to spend one afternoon and evening a week over at our friend's house so that she can help with the twins and their big (only still little--18 month old) sister any way she can. We're hoping that our friends are wanting a helper because I'm pretty sure there is no way I can stop her from going. She even wants me to figure out if a bus could drop her off there instead of at home right after school. (There isn't. I just checked. She'll be bugged.)

Funny how much she's grown up in the past years, but that all she really wants to do is play with "the babes" like she did ten years ago. Maybe this time I will be much less sleep deprived so I can remember helping a little bit, too--if they'll let me. There is nothing cuter than two little babies to cuddle and love. What fun!

8 comments:

  1. Denise9/03/2009

    What a sweet and thoughtful daughter you have. Any help was so welcome when our twins were born. It is so nice of both of you to offer. I remember being so sleep deprived I would just weep uncontrollably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were still in your ward -- these days I could use an extra set of hands like Cinderella's! Wanna send her to New York? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she is a born mother. (I have the same affliction.) I am sure the new mother will love having her help out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babies are so fun, maybe that's why I'm not in a hurry for Enoch to grow up. Looks like Rigel should be having quadruplets (sp?) to keep everyone in the ward satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember taking Cinderalla to the doctor one of those times. The poor thing wanted to hold her medicine in the car on the way home from the store. She could not wait to take it. She just knew it would help her feel better. :(
    I also remember that I took her the day I flew in, I had not slept for 27 hours!

    I was just fine with Cinderella holding Lucky the whole time we were visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Utah. It was great. I have not seen those pictures for a long time. I forget how little our kids were, Lucky three years ago and all of your girls when they were so tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend is lucky to have your wisdom and experience with multiples to glean from and the willingness of an almost-teenager to love and cuddle a toddler and newborns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister had a 8 month old when she found out she was pregnant with twins. Her husband works in another state, so when you walk in her house you are handed a baby. I feel so far past the baby stage for myself that I can really love her girls. I must admit it will sometimes be an hour before I realize I don't know which babe I am holding. Can I just say twins are a blast! Two babies for the price of one, how lucky is that? (I do get to go home and sleep at night, I am not sure what my sister would say right now). I bet your neighbor will love the help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cinderella is a special girl. I'm sure this will be a wonderful experience for her and your friends. Interesting how what comes around goes around (or is it the other way around?)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails