November 16, 2009

Battle of the Budget

Our power company, (which we now know the name of, thank you very much) is kind enough to give us a "budget plan" whereby they charge us a set amount each month, so that we can budget easier, and don't end up paying extra in July, when it costs a fortune to cool the place, or in January, when we have to heat it. It worked well, until our last "anniversary" month, when our budgeted amount rose twenty dollars. Some of it was "fuel surcharges" that the company now charges us, but we were pretty sure some of it was due to our frivolous want to have light after dark or want to not see our breath while inside our house on a frigid day.

So, we made a deal with the girls: If they would be more careful about turning off their lights, and not touch their thermostats in their rooms, so that our budget amount remains the same, we will go out for ice cream AND give them each five dollars. If the amount goes down, they get ten dollars. Good plan, right?

Well, it seemed like a good idea. But, now, we have three intense light monitors. Heaven forbid I walk out of the pantry with full hands and cannot turn off the light immediately! Three girls will yell, "Mom, turn off the light!"

And when my bedroom feels a little warm to the girls, I get a lecture about conservation and the benefits of socks and sweaters in warding off a chill.

Oh, and forget about accidentally leaving my cell phone charger plugged into the wall. That is a major offense.

Today, I looked at our bill, and was relieved to see that our balance was + $464. Phew. Until I read a little further, where it says, "After careful review of your account at your six-month anniversary, your budget amount will be increased $10." What?!

Now I can't decide if I should tell the girls or not. On one hand, I could tell them, they'll be disappointed and feel like their work over the last six months was wasted, and give up. But, there is always the chance that if I tell them, they'll double their efforts, and I will have to start reading in the dark. Or be expected to wear my hat and gloves in the house. And, frankly, I'm already too cold to think about turning down the heat. I think it will be best to keep quiet for a while. At least until around mid-March.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like it's time to get a SNUGGIE! All of your problems will be solved. You will be nice and toasty AND you will be able to read in the dark with the awesome book light that comes with it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the trials of parenthood! To lie or not to lie, that is the question. Bless their little hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, you are hilarious. Just hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, if we can team them up with Grant, I bet we could end this entire global warming business once and for all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails