November 20, 2009

Learning from the Master

A couple of weeks ago, King and I were privileged enough to attend Young Women in Excellence. (If you have no idea what this is, click here to learn about this wonderful part of the Personal Progress Program the young ladies in our church participate in.) It was great to see what all of the girls in our ward have been working on this year. King and the other men sang a great song, and I cried like a baby when it was my two minute turn to talk about the growth and change we've seen in Cinderella this past year.

This year, Cinderella decided to focus on the value of Knowledge. She had experiences that helped her learn and grow in knowledge of her Savior, the Gospel and the Word of God, her role as a divine daughter of God, as well as a variety of service opportunities, and developing skills involving fun things that interest her. For her ten hour project, she chose this: "Working with your mother, grandmother, or a sister in your ward or branch, master a home arts skill she teaches you."

She decided to learn how to sew. Lucky for her, my sewing machine broke so she got to learn from two ladies in our ward, who have the capability to help her master this skill. (Learning from me would have put her so far under master, she'd be worse off than when she began. Although, I do miss my sewing machine dearly (it's truly dead) and there are some things I've found I really miss sewing. Like the cute Christmas pillowcases I bought fabric for last year, but now cannot sew. Anyway...) Cinderella learned so much. Not only things about sewing, but, through their examples and patient care, even more about being a righteous woman. I'm so grateful these women took time out of their busy lives to help Cinderella!

Cinderella spent about twelve hours with them carefully making a skirt, and a great little Easter bonnet.
(I'm kidding.) It's a bag--

And it's darling. (I keep telling her she can give it to me for Christmas, but I don't think she cares what I think.)

For the next few months, Cinderella has chosen to work on the value of Good Works. Again, she is learning from people who have mastered this value. She has observed many loving women who have, in the last weeks and months, as my health has been precarious, shared their time and talents with our family in preparing meals for us, cleaning our home, helping her and her sisters in organization and with homework, and countless other ways. They have truly blessed and impacted my daughters (and me and King) for eternity. More than they could ever know. How grateful I am for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and the opportunity it gives my family to associate with people who are living as He would have them live, so that we may learn about God through their shining examples.
Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.(3 Nephi 12:16)

8 comments:

  1. That bag is so cute! I think Cinderella has an aunt that could use that as a diaper bag in the near future... ;)

    I am so grateful for the women that have taken the time to care for you and your family since I am not near enough to do it. Thank them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy to make the pillowcases for you....or send my sewing machine home with you for a week! Let me know.

    Cinderella's bag is so cute. She did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a parent's greatest joy is to hear how their child has been impacted by the gospel. How wonderful!

    Learning how to sew will be so valuable for her in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful post. I'm so grateful for kind people who care for my family when I can't physically be there.

    Cinderella's bag is SO cute. I love the bag she made for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be oozing pride! She's given you plenty of reasons:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling girl! What a darling bag! Here's one grandma that would be outmastered (in the sewing arena) by any chimpanzee! Sorry about your machine, but thankful for your sweet friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You totally caught me off guard with the picture of the bag as a bonnet. I was like, ummmm?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love that bag! Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails