November 13, 2009

What to Give?

When do you start your Christmas shopping? I like to start early. I may not be finished by this time of year, but usually I know what I'm getting, and I'm figuring out the cheapest way to get it. This year, I'm behind. Way behind. The girls have no real requests, and are kind of outgrowing the toy thing. The problem with grown-up kids, is their toys get more complicated, and more expensive, and start with "i", as in iPod, iPhone, or iMostExpensiveThingYouCanThinkOf. (Sadly, these are dreams that, for my children, will not come true this year--King firmly believes that the longer that we can keep earbuds out of our girls' ears, the longer we'll know what's going on in their lives. And I think he may be on to something.)

What I'm stuck on right now is a gift for the girls' elementary school teacher. This is the information the girls have given me: He likes to travel, he just got married, his favorite color is orange, and his favorite animal is a giraffe. Oh, and he is hilarious and nice. So, any great ideas? We don't usually spend a lot of money, as I prefer to actually give of my time and help the teacher out with things instead, BUT I've kind of (really, really) stunk at that this year, so I need some good ideas. And please don't say a cute teacher mug with hot chocolate. I still have some of those from when I was a teacher. :)

Also, is it bad that this week of 60 degree weather in November is lulling me into thinking that winter may never come? I think I'm going to be sad in a couple of weeks. Or frozen.

5 comments:

  1. Boy, I really missed the ball. I don't ever remember giving my children's teachers gifts. Is this a new thing or was I just a loser mother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually was going to say a cute teacher mug -- but not just any mug. Have you seen the memo pad line from Fishs Eddy? SO awesome.

    As for family gifts, this year we're trying something new. There's a poem floating around the blogosphere related to gift giving that we, on our tight budget, have decided to try out. Basically it boils your Christmas gifts down to four items. Maybe you've heard it. It goes:

    "Something you want,
    Something you need,
    Something to wear,
    And something to read."

    So far it's working quite well. I've got our Christmas all planned out and almost completely shopped for.

    Good luck with that teacher gift and those iLoving tweens of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so bath and body works lotion might be pretty lame for a male teacher - huh? sorry that's my good old stand by.

    how about a roll of wrapping paper (very masculine colors of course!) with a note:
    "it's a wrap! thanks for a fine '09!"

    :) :) :) GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of doing those cute necklaces that you have made before, but I don't think their male teacher would appreciate that. I would have no idea what to do in that situation either. Sorry. I will try to brainstorm. Your brain and mine together almost equals one these days, we might be able to think of something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/14/2009

    Maybe some of the teachers who know him could give you an idea. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails