November 9, 2009

A Plea to the (Un)Helpers Everywhere

I would just like to say that if you work in a medical office, you should try to be helpful. Just try.

If, for instance, someone wants their medical information for insurance purposes, maybe you should give it to them. Even if your "unwritten" policy is to not "re-release" records released to you from another doctor. If that doctor now RESIDES IN INDIA, and his office is NO LONGER OPEN, maybe you ought to think about just releasing that information. Don't try to be helpful and suggest that the patient contact the office that IS NOT OPEN, and the doctor that LIVES IN INDIA, to get said records. Try to be helpful and just use the copy machine already. Or let the patient do it. She knows how to work a copy machine. And it is her information anyway, right?

All this is hypothetical, of course. I'm sure if you really do work in a medical office, you are way more helpful than the people that work in my chronically unhelpful office. This is the last straw. I will have a new Primary Physician by tomorrow.

On a happier note, it is going to be seventy degrees here, and since my Vitamin D was a little low on the medical information they would release to me, I think I will go lie naked in the sun.

(Just kidding. Erase your mind of horrible image. Sorry about that.)

But it will be warm. And I am happy about that.

8 comments:

  1. Good grief! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! The other day I was calling around to find myself a general practitioner and, based on the experiences I've already had with doctors in this city, which seems to mass produce ill-tempered receptionists, I made an appointment with the first one who was actually pleasant to talk to on the phone. I figured that if the receptionist was nice, the doctor would likely be nice also. Happily, it did work out that way. It's amazing, though, just how much you can tell about a doctor's office just by how nice and helpful the receptionists are. Good luck finding a new doctor (with nice receptionists)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts make me laugh, even if they aren't always good news. Good luck with those records and thanks for your input about the ear tubes. Greg and I feel better about the whole thing when we hear about good results from people with experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random tip I heard on the radio about medical records. Obviously, offices put up a big stink about releasing your records or giving you copies. However, this expert radio lady said that you can/should ask for a copy of the records from today's visit every time you go, and they'll usually give them to you without much of fight. Then you can keep your own collection of records. I realize this does not solve your problem, but it might help in the future.

    And maybe you can put on your best accent and call back your office "from India."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/10/2009

    Ooooh...if you follow that last suggestion about phoning them "from India", please let me come over and listen. Too funny!

    I'm sorry for all of these "headaches" in your attempt to find a treatment/cure for your headaches. You know I feel you pain...literally :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always bothered with bad medical service. I work in the medical field, and try as I might, it's just impossible to make up for all the negative medical workers! It doesn't matter how nice your doctor is, if the rest of the staff sucks, it's worth the hassle of finding a new doctor. I tell people all the time that there are just too many doctors out there to not love the one you have.

    Good luck!

    (And yes, legally, they have to release the records to you. They are your property.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. seriously??? what a joke. I had to call our old dr. from where you are living and where I used to live to request immunization records for H. and they flat out refused unless I paid $100!!!! seriously. PEOPLE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh -- p.s.! please call back "from India" ... please please please?????

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails