November 24, 2009

It's a Good Feeling

Last night was one of those nights where you feel like you are awake all night. I know I slept some, but every two hours I woke and tossed and turned for at least 30 minutes. Annoying. And I had a song that kept running through my head. Considering the fact that I have three teen/pre-teen daughters living in my house, it's usually a Taylor Swift or Hannah Montana song. But, this time, it was a song from my childhood.
It's such a good feeling
to know you're alive.

It's such a happy feeling:
You're growing inside.

And when you wake up ready to say,

"I think I'll make a snappy new day."

It's such a good feeling,
a very good feeling,

The feeling you know that we're friends.

I could just picture Mister Rogers sitting there in his zip-up sweater and red tie, singing to my little girl self as I savored the few minutes that Mom let me watch TV. Mister Rogers liked me. He cared about my learning, and had the best things to show us in the Picture, Picture when Mr. Speedy brought the reels by. I think I really did think he was singing right to me.

As the words kept running through my head during my sleepless night, I couldn't help but think how true they were. It is good to be alive, and I am happy that each day offers me a way to learn and grow on the inside (and tomorrow, probably the outside, too.) :)

I love his word choice, "a snappy new day". One definition of snappy is "crisp, smart, lively, brisk" and that is definitely what most of our days are like around here--lively, full of drama, and learning for everyone. The days seem to blur by as we live this adventure we call ordinary life. And I love it.

Today, on this eve of Thanksgiving, I am ever grateful for family and friends that keep my days snappy and my heart happy. I am blessed to be what I always wanted to be: a mother of the best girls ever. I couldn't ask for anything more. Heavenly Father has truly blessed me with a life full of happy, snappy days. It's a good feeling.

And I'll be back,
when the day is new,
And I'll have more ideas for you.
And you'll have things
you'll want to talk about,
and I will, too.



*Feeling especially nostalgic? Click here to hear Fred Rogers sing to you.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thought and how nice to think back to Mr. Rogers. He was a charming, calm man with a great love for children. Of course I was a mom when he had his show, not a child. I liked Ding Dong School with Miss Francis. But then I always loved school--still do. I'm thankful that you are the mom to three of the best grandchildren a grdma ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he sings the last part, I getting teary eyed everytime...so relieved that SOMEONE was going to BE THERE the next day...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails