December 4, 2009

It's O.K.

The problem with having a chronic condition, and having a few good days in a row, is that inevitably, the feeling okay comes crashing down around you and being miserable seems that much more miserable when you get a glimpse of how it is to function somewhat normally.

And, I did have a few good days in a row, but the last couple? Not so much. And today, when I woke up with a splitting headache, and nausea, and feeling like I could stay in bed all day, what I really needed was a good laugh. Which didn't really happen when I started going through the mountain of graded school papers that the girls left me to look at. There were too many not-so-good grades, of which, had I felt better, (and helped them study for spelling tests, and looked over assignments) would have been so much better. Nothing like a bit of guilt piled on when you are feeling lousy to help you feel that much worse. However, when I read one of the papers a little more thoroughly to understand the poor grade, I got the laugh I needed.

For spelling, Sleeping Beauty was to write sentences to demonstrate her understanding of the words. She had finished this assignment at home Tuesday night, but Wednesday afternoon, I found it on her bedroom floor. Whoops. So, she had redone the paper at school Wednesday morning before she could go to recces. She told me she hurried and got done so she didn't miss any recces time. And, let me tell you, she hurried. Hence, the poor grade. Here is a sampling:

Fragrance is a good smell.

Excellence is a good thing.

Decency is an important thing.

Truancy is bad.

Be obedient.

That is buoyant.

Obedience is fantastic!

They found evidence.

Have frequency.

Inconvenience is O.K.

That last one is my favorite. It's O.K. Not good, important, bad, or fantastic. Just O.K.

I assure you, this is evidence of work done quickly to avoid the inconvenience of missing recces, and it certainly has the fragrance of work lacking decency, but I find the frequency of the truancy of thought, and lack of obedience to the family rule "Do your best" quite fantastic-ally funny and buoyant.

5 comments:

  1. You are too good! Hope you have a 'better' day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now you have provided me with my laugh for the day! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sleeping Beauty! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man that's funny. And, nice word usage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what I thought was funnier: your paragraph or her sentences. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails