December 1, 2009

(Un?) Believable

I can't believe it's December! How did that happen? But, more importantly, how is this school year almost half over? The biggest problem I have with this is that my babies will be in Middle School in less than a year! How did this happen? It seems like just yesterday they got on that Kindergarten bus for the first time. But, I suppose that's what everyone says.

However, there is still proof that my two babies are young at heart. You know that jolly old elf that makes his appearance the end of December? Yep, that guy. They totally believe. And have mentioned the fact that if I don't want to buy them a present, they know who to ask for it.

And you know that little fairy that collects teeth for her castle in the sky? Yep, her too.

So, the question is--how unbelievably gullible do I let these girls be? Is it worse to let them commit social suicide in the fifth grade and the mention the tooth fairy forgetting to visit (again), or do I dash all of their dreams and let them know the truth?

Of course, it's always possible that I'm the gullible one and they've got the whole thing figured out, but they are letting me believe I've still got two little girls instead of big kids headed for middle school way too soon. You never know.

4 comments:

  1. I think I believed until Junior High, and I turned out alright. But here's a hint. Don't let: "Hey, can you help me wrap the Santa presents?" be the way they find out. That kind of bites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell them before someone else does. Our cousin, Leslie told me when we were visiting once (I was only 6 or 7). I realize now that if my younger siblings had been around when I came running to ask Mom and Dad if it was true it could have been really bad.
    I imagine that they have had their doubts by now and would not be quite as upset about it as I was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They must not read your blog, right? I wonder the same thing about Sid. Does she really still believe or is she just saying that because she's afraid she'll miss out on a gift?

    The main reason I wonder is she's started to use him as a threat, "If Santa doesn't bring me this specific toy, I don't believe he's real". We'll find out this year because we didn't go for the threat and she isn't getting that specific (and expensive) thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think children know before they are willing to know. It's okay to hang on to some of those little beliefs until we are ready to grow into others, I believe. We still celebrate "Santa" with our daughter who will turn 37 this summer. She lets us think she still believes:) Have a Merry Christmas season with your beautiful princesses. Whenever you have time, come visit me for Crock Pot Wednesday at Dining With Debbie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails