April 27, 2009

Covered Thighs and Cotton Eyes

Friday night, King's work party went better than I'd planned. I ended up choosing slacks instead of my fancy skirt, because I hadn't shaved my legs for too long. Nobody needed to see that, with or without fashion. I made lemon bars, and the boss said they were her favorite treat ever. Fantastic. I'm betting the person that made the divine chicken salad or the bringer of the supreme humus dip were kicking themselves for not being as inept as me. Too bad for them.

I looked well enough to have an exquisitely dressed lady chat with me for a minute. I'm sure she was wondering why my shoes didn't have heels until she found out I was a stay-at-home mom. She was excited to find out I spend most of my time at home, and explained her observation that kids whose mom's stay home with them are usually smarter, and congratulated me for teaching mine. She's obviously never met my girls, though. (I'm kidding--the girls are super smart and would have astounded her with their broad range of insults they can fling at each other. The latest one being, "You are being a witch, only spell that word with a 'b'" which was retorted with a sarcastic, "Ooooooh, I hate being a wit-bah, you are so mean. I think I'll cry myself to sleep now!" See what I mean? Such clever girls.) :(

Saturday morning, Cinderella and I went to a modesty fashion show and hair-care day. Cinderella participated in the fashion show, and we learned lots of stuff about hair. Including the fact that lemonade Kool-aid and shampoo mixed together are just like a Malibu treatment to clarify your hair. We are so buying some Kool-aid to try it out--our well water has so much iron in it, we may all come out with different colored hair after a good clarification. Cinderella also now wants ten other hair products to make her hair perfect. They all cost about twenty dollars each. It's a good thing she's getting that $3 a week allowance tonight (minus the $1.50 for not practicing piano--oops.) She should have enough to buy the shampoo the stylist suggested by summer's end. At least she'll look fabulous by the time 7th grade rolls around, anyway.

After the fashion/hair deal, it was out of town again for Sleeping Beauty's second dance competition. She had a great time and Snow White and I enjoyed watching her dance. We would have liked a lot of the other groups, too, had we not been scraping our jaws off the floor because of their scantily clad bodies. I'm just glad we were there for the day of groups that are twelve and under; I've heard that a lot of the older girls are less covered and more developed. If you have a son who is invited to attend a dance competition, my suggestion is to not let him go without a blindfold and a very cold shower. Ick.

Look how adorable our girls were, though. We're so grateful to have a dance teacher who thinks little girls should still be little girls, and dress like it, too.



Saturday, they got a gold level score and tenth over-all for their rousing 'Cotton-Eyed Joe'. Sleeping Beauty was the lucky gal to go up and pick up the trophy. They were thrilled.
It only took her twenty minutes in the shower to scrub off all the eye make up so she didn't look like a raccoon for church on Sunday. Speaking of Sunday, that's the day I started another new medicine for my headaches--but that's a whole other post, which I hope to get done in the next day or so. I also hope to put up a clip of the girls dancing and Cinderella being fashionable on my private blog for the grandmas and aunties.

That's pretty much our weekend news. We live exciting lives, don't we? :)

5 comments:

  1. You crack me up. I'm glad you were the star of the party, just like I predicted. And I'm also glad to see that all little girls' dance troups don't dress like Miss USA meets the Dallas Cheerleaders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/29/2009

    Those are very cute costumes! I remember when I was in dance we had to wear these horrible sequined things that had sequins under the armpits and it hurt so bad. They were very tight and looked terrible on my slightly pudgy body. Bad memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleeping Beauty looks so cute in her costume. How fun for her that she got to get the trophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do tire of "little" girls trying to look more grown up and I really tire of the adults who encourage it. The cotton-eye Joe group looks fantastic!!

    I feel so unfashionable, I could use a few pointers from the show you attended! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/30/2009

    Mmmmm....lemon bars. Good call!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails