April 13, 2009

Impossible Dreams

In our family, we do Easter Egg hunts and Easter Bunny visits on the Saturday before Easter. It helps us to focus on our Savior on Easter Sunday. This year, the Easter Bunny has rocks in her head, and forgot to pick up a couple of things without the children in tow. So, on Friday night, as the girls were heading to bed, I remembered that the Easter Bunny was due to visit. I reminded the girls, and decided that they might be a little disappointed with their haul this year, but we would get over it. The twins are ten, for goodness sake, and should be catching on any minute to the whole "big bunny who likes to color eggs and deliver goodies to every child in the world" thing. So maybe using all of the candy from General Conference bribery, and not having sidewalk chalk for the first time in years, might force them to pause and think about the whole validity of the Easter Bunny idea.

Well, it didn't really go down that way after all. As soon as I told the girls the Easter Bunny would be coming that night and they should leave their baskets in the Family Room, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty headed to their room. When checking on them, I realized they were scribbling notes to the Easter Bunny. Because, apparently, the Bunny has now joined ranks with Santa Claus, and you can write your wish list to him. And boy, did they wish. Behold, Snow White's masterpiece of a letter:My personal favorite is "that is all I ask" followed by "Also, I would love some eggs." Needless to say, the Easter Bunny didn't grant her first wish, so it's good she threw in that whole egg thing. And, listening to them try to explain why maybe the Easter Bunny forgot to bring sidewalk chalk this year was classic, too.

"Maybe he thought we were too old this time."

"Oh, I bet he saw our old container in the garage and thought it had more than just a couple of pieces."

"Yeah, and maybe he didn't see how our last chalk got left in the rain. Mom, what does the Easter Bunny have instead of elves?"

"Or maybe the Easter Bunny didn't find the kind of chalk he always gives us, so he didn't want to just give us junky stuff."

"Hmmm...maybe. Maybe he just forgot."

Yes, maybe it was that. Cinderella listened to this and rolled her eyes so many times I'm surprised they didn't roll right out of her head. Although, I give her loads of credit for keeping her mouth shut and letting Snow White and Sleeping Beauty keep believing in the the impossible dream. They're now holding out for Santa to bring them sidewalk chalk and a Nintendo DS. I'll bet he remembers the sidewalk chalk anyway.

5 comments:

  1. haha! I am impressed that they still believe. Tyler is done believing and Hai is very close (despite my efforts!)

    they better be EXTRA good to get that DS. EXTRA good I tell ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shhh....don't let my kids know that you can request things from the Easter Bunny please. Snow White makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! I want to see the letter to Santa this year. I wonder if they will complain about the Easter bunny's forgetfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're pretty tricky if they've believed for this long! Not being a huge fan of the Easter Bunny myself (though an AVID Santa promoter), when Clark asked me, "why can't you see the Easter Bunny?," I said flatly, "because he's pretend." He was totally unmoved my my truthful declaration and filled our morning with many questions much like your girls did. Fun stuff. And DS, fat chance! My children will someday learn that "all the other kids have one" will be the phrase that seals their miserable fate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what DOES the Easter Bunny have instead of elves? Gerbils? Like Steph, we outed the EB early in the game. The guy always kinda creeped me out. Don't know why I had room in my heart for Santa, though. Maybe because he always looked a lot like my dad, who, come to think of it, did have a Santa suit in his closet. I learned later, he played the Jolly Old Elf every year at another ward's party. Explains everything!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails